Axle plates are screwed

I have built a bunch with out a jig. So as long as the table you are using is level side to side front to back mount the frame to the table and level frame to table. You can use string but I use a stiff flat iron and measure out the bottom in inches or I have just used a ruler . Find the center of the neck and use that as your front mark and make two equal marks on plates. I have a 6' level and have use that also and just made the marks on the level and measured . I would just cut the old ones off clean up the tubes and reweld . I would not fool with those at all.

I always thought about making top (down tube) mount and axle plate mounts that were done and all you had to do is slide your tube in and then you could adjust in and out with no problem before you weld. Top would already be welded ad it would just be like a puzzle. I have kind of done that on my drop seat frames when I was making them was less time measuring . Well good luck post some pictures when done.
Rich

Hopefully my cousin is coming on Monday to help me out a little. He's been a certified welder for a few years now and knows what he's doing. I don't trust my welds AT ALL haha

Got my axle spacing right finally.....had to open it up to 10.5 inches before it would rest at 8.5 inches. Ended up crushing my spare tire jack (who needs one anyways)

Got my axle spacing right finally.....had to open it up to 10.5 inches before it would rest at 8.5 inches. Ended up crushing my spare tire jack (who needs one anyways)

Hi Stoop,
the umpteenth corollary of Finagle's Law sez
"You will not need a spare tire jack until yours has been crushed"
Note that most cars in breakers yards have an unused scissor jack in their trunk that you can buy for a dollar or two.

I don't think your frame is as far off as the cuts are in the axle plates. 1/2 degree is only .075" difference in height from side to side at 18.5" width. It definitely looks like it was in an attempt to fit a larger axle before the PO realized they messed up and took all the material from one side...

Hi Stoop,
no, Man! Take your $2 to the scrapyard tomorrow and buy a replacement jack.
That way you ain't gonna need to use it. Cheap insurance, eh?

Back