Axle plates are screwed

Stoop22kid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what my PO was thinking. It's not the best picture but you can see where the left axle plate has been drilled out to waaaayyyy bigger than stock axle size. Is there any saving it? Could I put the wheel as close to the seat as possible and adjust the chain to keep it close? I know I wouldn't be able to use a chain very long after it stretched out but I'm on a budget and can't afford another frame right now.
5baffa37a5a3c966a18990ef6cda2ed1.jpg

From the wear marks, looks like an oversize axle was fitted to run in the rearmost position.
To save that, looks like a weld fill-in and grind/file job...

When you say oversize axle do you mean the whole axle was over size? This has only been drilled out on the one side.

When you say oversize axle do you mean the whole axle was over size? This has only been drilled out on the one side.

Hi, I'd tend to agree with 2M - some axles have a wider shoulder at one end - it looks like the left plate has been enlarged to accomodate. Or, as the hole is drilled lower ont he left plate, perhaps the PO was trying to compensate for a frame alignement issue? It would be worth checking that too :) but I'm only guessing. Either way, it needs rectifying, so there are a couple of choices:

1. As 2M says, weld and reform the plate
2. Carefully cut the plates out, fabricate new and weld back in

Are you using an xs wheel/axle? Show us a pic of the axle and length. Maybe he used a shorter early axle and cheated on the threaded end.

31f9220e5ff1c13b780c43d208e00290.jpg
a26d77012c65edd6c4a38d020ab100c0.jpg
here's the 2 pics I just took. I am using an xs wheel and axle. The axle is a little long so I'll either have to cut and rethread it or buy a new axle. Any other views y'all want/need to see?

Slide that axle full forward, view from the rear, and check its vertical/horizontal alignment with the frame, looking for possible misalignment as Paul suspected...

- - - I am using an xs wheel and axle. The axle is a little long so I'll either have to cut and rethread it or buy a new axle. Any other views y'all want/need to see?

Hi Stoop,
you've never had this thing on the road, right?
As that's a stock XS650 rear axle in the photo your hardtail ain't only scooped out on one side, it's too effin' narrow.
Jack it's sides apart so there's 8-1/2" space between the endplates, do a weld'n'grind fix on the oversized axle hole and then check if the rear axle is near enough 90º to the steering head.

Duh! No wonder the axle is too long. I realized earlier in the week that its too narrow as my wheel and spacers wouldn't fit. Makes sense now. And no it has never been on the road....Atleast not with me on it

Are you using the stock chain adjusters? if not, your axle would be long. With the stock axle and for the chain adjusters to work well, my measurements indicated this order with 8-1/2 inches between plates, starting from outside .....chain adjuster - 1/8" thick washer - axle plate - 1/16" thick washer - chain adjuster, same for the other side. Granted, this order can be changed to compensate for some things, but the chain adjusters would look bent and would work like crap.

I'm also thinking that was done to make the axle horizontal in a crooked frame.

Scott

My guess will be it had a more modern wheel in there with a larger diameter hollow axle, probably one that was too short so one side was just reduced threads and the narrow spread, By making just a hole the axle couldn't adjusted.... Them damned PO's could screw up a one car funeral. This is a good hint to trust NOTHING that the PO did! I'm with the weld in and reform with angle grinders and files suggestions.

If when the hard tail was welded on they screwed it up enough so one side was too high, they would have opened the hole up so that side of the axle sat level.
Set up some blocking, set the frame up on the blocking. Use a level to adjust blocking so the frame tubes under the engine are level. Now put the axle in the axle loops. use the level to see if the axle sets level. Try it forward in the axle plates and reward in the extra hole. If it's level up front the hard tail is ok. If not it needs work.
If level up front, weld in the extra hole and grind out to the right size.
Assemble, be happy.
Leo

My guess will be it had a more modern wheel in there with a larger diameter hollow axle, probably one that was too short so one side was just reduced threads and the narrow spread, By making just a hole the axle couldn't adjusted.... Them damned PO's could screw up a one car funeral. This is a good hint to trust NOTHING that the PO did! I'm with the weld in and reform with angle grinders and files suggestions.

Hi Gary,
you underestimate the PO's engenuity.
You fix the non-adjustable rear axle problem by using a spring-loaded jockey wheel under the drive chain.
Note to Stoop:- this is not a good idea, it's a horrible example.

Hey man there is a more important part here SAFETY . Cut them off and buy a new set from Travis or someone else and make sure you order the right ones. They come in MM and inches. You don't need a jig to do it the frame is already tacked. I wouldn't use that someone used a bigger axle and left no way to adjust.

I have a feeling once I get a chance to look into it farther and measure everything that it's gonna be crooked....everything I seem to buy is usually trash haha. I can't catch a break. If the frame is straight I'm gonna buy new axle plates and if the frame is pretty crooked I'm gonna buy a new hardtail kit.

Alright so here we go. I ran a string from the neck straight down the backbone to the rear axle and everything is straight surprising. I have a jack between the axle plates to space them out. There's 8.5 inches between the axle plates. Here's the part where I'm gonna get laughed at.....I don't have a level at my new house so I found an app that I used. Here's the readings that I got
9dcea4c4ecd59ee4628f2e13675cefbc.jpg
57f7f503838ab84d07b639fb31a4da15.jpg
the first picture is across the rear axle and the second picture is the cross piece under the seat.

Back