bad petcock?

rider119

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok so I just took my petcock apart to and cleaned it, it wouldn't turn, put it back together and on, turns fine but when I turn it to on or reserve no gas comes out, gas only comes out when its on prime. Any ideas?

You have a vacuum operated petcock. A standard petcock has on, off and reserve positions. A vacuum petcock has on, reserve and prime.
The prime position is used when you first start the bike, especially after it sets a few days. Once you get the bike started turn to on or if low on gas reserve.
There is a line that runs from one of the carb holders that carries vacuum up to the petcock. Inside the petcock there is a rubber diaphragm that opens a valve to let fuel flow in on and reserve when the engine is running. The prime position bypasses the vacuum valve.
So to test hook a hose to the barb on the back of the petcock. now with the petcock in on or reserve suck on the hose. This should give enough vacuum to open the valve. the fuel should flow.
Leo

In your other thread about the barb in the carb holder. Run a hose from the open barb to the barb on the back of your pet cock.
Leo

Back