Barnett clutch

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
OK, so I got a 1978 XS650 standard in reasonable condition and I want to build a bit of a scrambler out of it , so , seeing how it runs ok, I want to start by building a bullet proof clutch .

I have been looking on all the usual sites and I want to go with Barnett plates and springs , other than that, it looks like XS performance makes the rest of the parts I might need . ..

So , my question is , who has built a really tough clutch and what parts should I order ? I want to have EVERY THING I need on hand so I can get this done right the first time in one shot. I don't care if I end up with a few extra bits at the end, I can always sell them . Thanks .

I was going to suggest trying stronger springs but that may not be a once in situation.

The stock clutch plates are very strong. They used that same plate in bikes up to 1700 cc's.
I have a very strong clutch by using stronger springs, 70 lbs. It holds everything my 750 kitted engine can put out.
On the steel plates, they are just stamped out of steel and have burrs on one side and are slightly curved on the other side. Use a coarse sand paper, 120 grit or so. Sand the burrs off. Sand the whole plate to remove any discoloration and to rough the surface up a bit, improves the grip.
As far as replacement friction plates, I like the Forodo's.
As far as Mike's XS the new thrust bearing with more rollers in it isn't a bad idea. It will help prevent basket wobble.
If your stock bearing is good then you don't need a new one.
Leo

The stock clutch plates are very strong. They used that same plate in bikes up to 1700 cc's.
I have a very strong clutch by using stronger springs, 70 lbs. It holds everything my 750 kitted engine can put out.
On the steel plates, they are just stamped out of steel and have burrs on one side and are slightly curved on the other side. Use a coarse sand paper, 120 grit or so. Sand the burrs off. Sand the whole plate to remove any discoloration and to rough the surface up a bit, improves the grip.
As far as replacement friction plates, I like the Forodo's.
As far as Mike's XS the new thrust bearing with more rollers in it isn't a bad idea. It will help prevent basket wobble.
If your stock bearing is good then you don't need a new one.
Leo
I have 7 brand new plates in the package ( got lots of parts with the bike ) from XS direct , I looked up the part # 39-1133... they are the cheap ones , so I am not too sure about installing them . They are supposed to be a replacement for the stock plates. I just found another bag of parts ! Got some bits and pieces for the clutch and a bunch of stuff I don't recognize, most of it is brand new , some of it in bags with part #s . Now I have too look all this stuff up to see what I have . PS... When you built your clutch did you use the one piece rod ?

Not much you can do aside plates, friction discs, springs, push rod, upgraded needle bearing, and maybe a late model spring loaded boss, hydraulic actuation.

Unless you go the route of an 8 plate pack or perhaps a billet basket and kevlar discs.

I used the mikes plates and promptly swapped em out for EBC. You'll feel a difference.

Back