basket case assembly

Lawnmowerman501

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
My son gave me a 1978 xs 650 for my birthday. Basket case. He disassembled it 3 yrs ago and pulled the wiring harness. I am trying to reassemble it. Most stuff has plugs easy to identify. But I cant figure out which wires hook to the left coil and to the right coil. Most these wires are cloth covered and colors are faded. Help please.

The double lead that runs to the points is cloth covered, that's about it. The rest of the wiring is plastic covered. The points wires are orange and gray. The gray goes to the top set of point for the right cylinder, the orange to the bottom set for the left cylinder. My lower set is missing here because I was running a single points conversion at the time .....

SinglePoints.jpg

The points wires run up to around the top motor mount. There they connect orange to a female double bullet orange with one condenser wire and gray to a female double bullet gray with the other condenser wire .....

CondenserHook-up.jpg

The orange runs to the orange wire on the left coil, the gray runs to the orange wire on the right coil .....

RightCoil.jpg

Back