Battery acid leak

Fernando

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time post, long time lurker. I have a 79 special 2. When I got the bike i replaced the battery, put in a new alternator rotor, changed the regulator/rectifier with the radioshack homemade bridge rectifier and the chrysler regulator from napa auto parts.(THANKS FOR THE CHEAP FIXES GUYS!) This fixed the charging issue that was causing it to die regularly. Ever since it never has left me stranded.

Now I keep having acid drip down over the frame! I have reattached the battery vapor tube and even attached it with wire so it can fall off, but for some reason it still seams to be leaking and spilling on the frame.

The tube is plenty long and runs to the base of the frame, I keep checking the fluid and it never looks to be low, always between the max and min lines. I am not sure what is causing the leak. Could it possibly be the kickstand lean? If so it seems like a poor design to have for a motorcycle battery.

Im left scratching my head on this one, thanks for the help.

We used to run into this years ago. Found the cause was from the mandatory slits cut into the factory vent tube. My fix was to cut the tube back about 1"-2", removing the upper slit.

But, that was then. Don't know about the modern stuff...

Yes the replacement battery tubes have slits now.
I would be putting a on a volt meter and watching voltage for a while sounds like it might be overcharging the battery.

Maybe not a gel battery but at least a sealed battery.
Most AGM batteries don't have on over flow tube, Usually a few more CCA's to help cranking.
Leo

I tested the battery volts around 3k rpm, it was 14.8ish, didnt rev any higher than that. I figured if it was overcharging it would boil out and I would lose acid level, but it always seems to be inbetween the lines. My guess is that just a little leaks out and then dripped on my frame, and my iodized aluminum swing arm! (I was not happy about that).

I padded out the battery in the battery rubber case against the metal battery box and it seems to have helped, I continue to keep the wire around the tube to make it harder for it to come off.

I think this is a post of the bike leaning, havent ever posted a picture so it may not work.

11391716_10153405174359222_6025783210258018941_n.jpg

Back