battery tender flashing green?

zig917

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey all. i have had the tender on my 81 for a few days now. after about 12 hours the red light was on also with the green light flashing indicating 80% or more charged. but two days later and the green is still flashing. all lighting circuits are ran after a switched key so they dont work unless switched on. so then i took the battery out of the bike and charged it with the same tender on the same outlet no ext. cords and it charged it full and went to maintenance mode ( green light stays steady) is the battery bad. what else could be pulling power? im at a total loss

Hi, zig917. This is a little out there, but sometimes a regular acid-type battery with a little age will 'wake up' after a little jostling, like wrestling it outa the bike and setting it on a bench. Seems that the lead sulphate deposits will sometimes settle-out and allow a fuller or complete charge...

i thought the same thing. but after the gereen light stayed on i put the battery back on the bike and it did the same thing (green flashing)

is it normal for the rectifier to put drain or load on the battery when not running is something faulty? ive got the battery tender plus and im thinking about taking it back and getting the jr. ive been on a couple other sites and others are also saying they were having the same problem with the plus but not the jr. i just dont understand it

Rectifiers can drain on the order of nanoamps, sometimes microamps. Might be enuff to fake-out your charger, or your charger is a new diagnostic tool. Just thinkin' out loud here....

I would check the battery to see how many volts it has when charged. Let it sit and check to see how many volts it has un hooked from the charger. Have it load tested.

Check current flow bike off with a meter? If it works and holds a charge stop worrying. IF the battery won't hold a charge, get rid of it before it kills the charging system.

With the battery out of the bike charge it. once fully charged take it to a place that sells bike batteries and have it load tested. This will determine if the battery is ok.
If ok check the rectifier half of the reg/rec.
Clymer book page 180 has the 'How To".
Leo

Back