Bearcat's XS

bearcat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want to share some pictures of my 1st build. I've taken a lot off the site to guide me through the process this far. Considering the 2into 1 intake. Looking forward to starting the exhaust. Also looking at Hugh's solid risers. This my 1st street bike and wouldn't have known where to start without the communities help, so Thanks for sharing. Appreciate any input

Attachments

• DSC02379.jpg
    DSC02379.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC02405.jpg
    DSC02405.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC02437.jpg
    DSC02437.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC02444.jpg
    DSC02444.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC02461.jpg
    DSC02461.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 404
Here is one I cut and went a little deeper than I wanted. If you send me a decent cover. I'll give you this one, even trade. You'll just need to cover the shipping back. Or I can cut another for a nominal fee since your the first to ask. Either way you'll have to send me a cover

Attachments

• DSC02466.jpg
    DSC02466.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 185
Here is one I cut and went a little deeper than I wanted. If you send me a decent cover. I'll give you this one, even trade. You'll just need to cover the shipping back. Or I can cut another for a nominal fee since your the first to ask. Either way you'll have to send me a cover

Freakin Sweet.. Punisher!!

Switched gas tank, added exhaust, 2 to 1 intake. Dropped handle bars again, lowered forks with Hugh's 2" lowering spacers( he made that real easy ). Changed to tapered bearings in the neck. Going with the Lectron 40mm carb, hope that works well. Found a rear fender that has same rib as the tank. hoping to work on mounting that soon. makin progress

Attachments

• DSC02563.jpg
    DSC02563.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC02565.jpg
    DSC02565.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC02569.jpg
    DSC02569.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Switched gas tank, added exhaust, 2 to 1 intake. Dropped handle bars again, lowered forks with Hugh's 2" lowering spacers( he made that real easy ). Changed to tapered bearings in the neck. Going with the Lectron 40mm carb, hope that works well. Found a rear fender that has same rib as the tank. hoping to work on mounting that soon. makin progress

Sexy bike man! How's the lectron's working out? I'm looking for carbs to use on my build and considering getting one.

Haven't posted for a while. Completely disassembled the bike and cleaned a lot of blemishes up. Had always intended to rephase the engine. Just so happened to score a brand new 750 head with pistons off CL. Most in my circle told me not to paint the bike and I always love the look of raw steel. Against that advice I powder coated the frame and almost immediately stripped it back to raw steel again. I found a coating called Sharkhide that really preserves the looks of the natural steel and touches up by simply reapplying it. It is used on pontoon boats to preserve the polished aluminum, so it holds up to water really well. Completely rewired the bike, always find a better to clean it up second time. Just really getting it back on the road again and with the engine mods and the 5th gear overdrive, I'm really liking the results of the new improved version.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 195
I love the look of your side covers in the first post. How did you polish them to achieve that mild brushed look? Great looking bike

Obviously some of the parts have been hand sanded with 320 grit sand paper to speed up the process. Then everything on the bike was finished sanded with a new burgundy colored scotchbrite pad, keeping it in one direction on the last pass. The first post didn't have the sharkhide, and it's easy to hit them with the scotchbrite to keep that look. Sharkhide does mute the grain and brightness some but keeps longer and doesn't fingerprint like the raw aluminum or rust on the steel. The exhaust is raw stainless. I hit it every so often with the same scotchbrite. Thanks

I also dig the finish on the side cover, good job. I do something similar but a little duller. I have never seen one quite like that. The bike looks good too bud. Props!

I honestly can't remember who I got the covers from? They were sand cast from a guy in Japan. I've looked through my files and can't place it. I'm going to look some more now, or it will bug the crap out of me.

Back