Bearing Seals

ScooterMagoo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,
I am replacing wheel bearings with All Balls Racing bearings. When I removed the old bearings, I noticed that the inside seals were taken off or never existed. Either way, doesn't matter. The new bearings are sealed on both sides. Do I remove the seals on one side before installing? My gut is telling me to install them as is. Thoughts anybody?

Hello,
I am replacing wheel bearings with All Balls Racing bearings. When I removed the old bearings, I noticed that the inside seals were taken off or never existed. Either way, doesn't matter. The new bearings are sealed on both sides. Do I remove the seals on one side before installing? My gut is telling me to install them as is. Thoughts anybody?

Hi Scooter,
install the sealed bearings "as is". Thing is, you can't easily* repack a sealed bearing. OTOH, by the time the stock single seal bearings need repacking they're most likely worn enough to be replaced anyway.
* OK, you can stab through the rubber seal with a needle-ended grease fitting to give the bearing a squirt of grease but that's only for bearings that you can't find replacements for.

Bearings used on the early '70s wheels had open sides. Yamaha progressed to using totally sealed ones eventually so yes, leave the seal in on both sides of the bearing.

Using a small sharp pocket knife, screwdriver, or pick/awl, you can pop the seals out and check the grease fill. I always do on new bearings. They are sold as "sealed and lubed for life" but some manufacturers don't put very much grease in them at all. If you do end up adding grease, don't totally fill the bearing, go about half full at most. I check both sides and if more is needed, only add some to one side.

I will also pop the outer seals on old good bearings in old wheels I get, clean the old grease out the best I can, and add fresh stuff. This is done with the bearing still in the hub because as you probably know, knocking a good bearing out usually wrecks it.

Back