Being an adult sux sometimes...

Downeaster
Nice job on the generator brush cover. Originally there was a paper gasket under it. We used to use a few wraps of paper tape under it if it was missing. If you ever replace the brushes in it make sure you turn and undercut the armature. I'm sure you know not to over tighten the belt or you will take out the com end bushing. Looks like a 2 brush gen?

Downeaster
Nice job on the generator brush cover. Originally there was a paper gasket under it. We used to use a few wraps of paper tape under it if it was missing. If you ever replace the brushes in it make sure you turn and undercut the armature. I'm sure you know not to over tighten the belt or you will take out the com end bushing. Looks like a 2 brush gen?

Yes, I believe it's a 2 brush.

Good tip on the paper. I have some wide masking paper that's got post-it style glue on one side. I'll cut a strip of that and put it glue side to the cover.

Hey D.E. ,
This is very cool, I’ve bookmarked your webpage. You’ve got to figure out a way to add a like button! :geek: I kept looking for one.
So this is a two cylinder engine? Man, I never thought about how hard it would be to get a non running chunk of steel like that loaded. Are you on any antique tractor forums?
When I worked for the copper mines, they had these Cat D-9 bulldozers, and the tracks kept chewing up the shop floors, so while I was there, they built a new building just for the bulldozers to be repaired in. Imbedded in the floor were railroad tracks, laid in rows and then concrete poured in and brought up flush with the top of the tracks exposed. My job was to weld all the railroad tracks in place prior to pouring the concrete. It worked really well.
Just curious, how did you create a web page? I know less than nothing! o_O

Hey D.E. ,
This is very cool, I’ve bookmarked your webpage. You’ve got to figure out a way to add a like button! :geek: I kept looking for one.
So this is a two cylinder engine?

Man, I never thought about how hard it would be to get a non running chunk of steel like that loaded.

Are you on any antique tractor forums?

When I worked for the copper mines, they had these Cat D-9 bulldozers, and the tracks kept chewing up the shop floors, so while I was there, they built a new building just for the bulldozers to be repaired in. Imbedded in the floor were railroad tracks, laid in rows and then concrete poured in and brought up flush with the top of the tracks exposed. My job was to weld all the railroad tracks in place prior to pouring the concrete. It worked really well.

Just curious, how did you create a web page? I know less than nothing! o_O

Yup, vertical 2 holer. Slightly more than 650cc however...:p John Deere had two major factories, Waterloo and Dubuque. The traditional "Johnny Popper" had a horizontal 2 cylinder and was built in Waterloo. These are the A/B/H and later models that most people think of when you say Johnny Popper. The vertical two holers used in the M/40/420/430 series were built in the Dubuque shops.

If I had a bigger winch it would have been easier, but then I'd likely have broken something in the process. Sometimes (shockingly...) brute force isn't the answer.

Yup, I hang out on various boards on the Yesterday's Tractors site.

I speak a little basic HTML, but there are various programs that look like a word processor that will deal with all the code for you. For instance, MS word will let you generate a document just as you normally would and then save it as a web page. They do tend to go a little overboard on the coding and I'm enough of a luddite that I prefer to do it the hard way. Not fancy, but effective.

Progress Report on the crawler

I've put off The Big Job (getting the tracks off) as long as I can. This is gonna be a beeyotch...

Got a carb kit on order, once that's here and installed, I should be able to attempt starting it.

I just read your crawler post - fascinating! Your new acquisition is kind of like the "XS650 of tractors"...simple, homely, yet very appealing, in a sort of agricultural way...

Dammit, I'm comin' over! Just gotta find my raincoat...

Pete

Progress Report on the crawler

I've put off The Big Job (getting the tracks off) as long as I can. This is gonna be a beeyotch...

Got a carb kit on order, once that's here and installed, I should be able to attempt starting it.
As we used to yell out, before starting the 5 color 72" offset sheet fed printing press, "Watch your fingers!"

Yup, I hang out on various boards on the Yesterday's Tractors site.

One more from here, I'm on the Farmall board on Yesterday's Tractors, have a 1947 Farmall BN used mostly for mowing the 8 to 10 acres of lawn/weeds. Did a ground up rebuild on that one something like 35 years ago. Visually looks about like the John Deere dozer but still runs great and has had few problems over the years.

crawler17.jpg

Take THAT, ya sumbitch! Beefed up my pin pushing jig so it wouldn't bend as easily and extricated my cranium from my nether regions and thought to heat the HEAD of the master pin where it keys into the link instead of the end I was pushing on. Took up the slack, gave the trusty 20 Ton Persuader a couple of pumps, gave the inside of the jig a couple of love taps with a 5 pound hammer and POP!

Once it broke loose, it drove right out with a drift.

Theoretically, it's all downhill from here...

Bet wrestling with that track is a HANDFUL!
I used to have Grouser tracks for my skid steer but finally realized that if I didn't have tracks, I wouldn't be tempted to go wading into MUD! :confused:

crawler18.jpg

You got THAT right, Bubba! Guido knew he had a load chained to him when I drug them down by the barn. Seeing as it will most likely snow before I get to the point of reinstalling them, I'd like to roll them up and store them inside. Dunno if I got the ass to do that or not. Might be able to flop them in half and pick them up with the forks on the Cabota.

It's ALIVE! MUWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wanted to be absolutely sure it ran before tearing into it much further. Good oil pressure, I can see coolant circulating in the radiator, no leaks (those are spills from refilling the fluids) and what little smoke you see is from the PB Blaster I squirted down the plug holes on Day One.

Need to rewire it as the insulation on the wiring is pretty brittle and there are a number of "farmer fixes" involving wirenuts and electrical tape.

I'm a Happy Guy at this point!

Back