Belt instead of a chain?

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just dreaming here.

Has anyone seen a chain to belt conversion on the XS650? Talking drivetrain here :)

hi,,, yes,,, david rayner from the aussie xs650 club ,,,,did have a belt drive on his red bike ,,its on the aussie web site,,, well worth a look at his bike... regards oldbiker

He closed down his shop, I just contacted a Gates rep to see what they could offer.

Lighter weight, less vibration, almost no maintainance. No grunge from thechain to clean off the rear wheel.

I guess some dudes like ugly chicks too...

:D

Bikes like these are fugly

moto2.jpg

I am still in the starting phases of the project, but I'd like to offer it out to a wider audience, might not be so relevant giving the shipping costs from Europe to the US, buuut, anyway.

I've located the pulleys that I want to use, which is a different setup to the one listed in inxs' setup. The ratio is constant though.

These pulleys come with a solid center, so that they can be machined out to whatever they need to fit on, going with this as I want it to truely be a bolt-on kit.

I am aiming for a price around 400 euros, hopefully cheaper.

I guy I used to work with started Scootworks, he does all metic stuff and got started by making belt drive conversions for metric bikes. I'm not sure if he currently has a kit, but I'm sure he would make one. www.scootworks.com

Been running belt drive on my Harley since '91, love them. No mess, no trouble, no noise. I've been looking at doing one on my XS. Have you checked with your local Yamaha dealer to see if any of the current models that have belt drive may just fit?:doh: I know it's a long shot but you never know.:bike:

Had over 20,000 miles on the belt and it's still good, only had to adjust it maybe three times. I only replaced it because I installed a new S&S 100 cu.in. engine and since I had the bike apart, why not. I love the belt drive and would like to put one on my XS650 and KZ 1000 LTD.

Well I can tell you that the drawings have been made and a CNC machine guy who is willing to help.

Waiting on a reply to see what the pulleys will run me. I will also test to see if I can fit a 1" wide pulley behind the cover.

In the conversions I've seen pics of the swingarm needs to be modded to fit around the rear pulley.

I have an 03 Harley. The only time the belt needs adjusting is when you have the rear wheel out for a new tire.

I have 49,400 miles on the belt. I have heard that 70,000 is the expected life of the belt. Some say 100,000. Harley also sells a heavy duty belt for the full dressers. They can handle the extra strain of pulling all the weight of a loaded bike and trailer.

I like the low maintainance, and the quiet, clean, no vibes operation of the belt. The belt also can increase performance. The less mass of the belt and pulleys let the bike accelerate quicker and use less HP to turn. The less mass also helps the rear wheel to respond to bumps better.

Leo

Seeing as I mentioned the Harley and I'm warmed up from the 10:30 am ride and the therometer says it's 60 outside I think I'll go for a ride.

What kind of modifications? My 530 chain is quite wide, but I don't have the total width at hand.

Back