Belt instead of a chain?

I don't get it, just because he runs a boxed swingarm doesn't mean that it is a neccesity.

The boxed swingarm is just because he could, like the supercharger etc...

Ive been down this road for belt drive myself. The belt isnt the problem, Gates has a belt that will fit anything... its the pulleys. I found a used set on another XS 650 site and they guy wanted 600 dollars for the pair. Now you think, 600??? was he high?... nope, actually pulleys are expensive because unlike sprockets and chain, they dont need to be replaced as often. And.. majority of the market uses chain , then a tie with belt and shaft perhaps..

I didnt bite on the pulleys in the end because for that price I could get many sets of chain and sprockets and bonus... change the gearing at will. Too bad.. I hate lubing chains.!!

Stock gearing is 1:2, these are also that, plus with the taperlock system, you can alter that! I really want to try and fit a 1" belt in there, but it has been done with a 20mm by Dave.

The rear one will come solid, so will need to be machined, but that is for me to figure out :)

On the one I saw he had to cut out the stock swing arm for clearance. The pulley will be about the same diameter as the sprocket, but over an inch wide. When you mount the pulley the inside edge can't be closer to the wheel than the sprocket is. The extra width has to be on the outside, away from the wheel.

Look at the sprocket to swing arm clearance on your bike, now imagine the sprocket 1 1/4 inch wide. look and see how much of the swingarm needs to be cut away. As I remember it was 1/2 to 3/4 of the swingarm.

When you get it cut away, then see how much you have to put back somewhere to regain the strength you lost from the cut away. Using a different swing arm that has the room for the pulley would be better.

hi guys,,, i was talking to a guy in aust..... xs650 club... about belt drives on xs650 ,,,he was saying that the club secretary in aust is running a carbon fibre 20mm wide belt and they work great ,,very high mileage ... ...very little to do to swing arm to get the 20mm wide belt to run well regards oldbiker

this is david raynor,s xs650 ,,,som what modified,,,, but now he and terry ...the web manager have new20mm carbon fibre belts...... that belt in the pic is 30mm......regards oldbiker

Back