best degreaser

I tried most of the stuff available over-the-counter from NAPA and wasn't even a little bit impressed.

Unfortunately, the best solution is mineral spirits (paint thinner) a stiff bristle brush and elbow grease. Diesel fuel works pretty well too.

For soap type cleaning, Simply Green, Purple Power, or even dish soap.
I've also used Mineral spirits, and that works well.
For the really baked on stuff I've had good luck with oven cleaning, like Easy Off. Oven Cleaner will discolor aluminum and eat paint.
Some good brushed and elbow grease is always required, I like the longer bristle brushes to get in tight spaces, both plastic and wire brushes.
I have cleaned a few engines and I have not found the ONE method that works best yet.

Personally I like oven cleaner for the caked on stuff and kerosene with a brush. Agreed with there's no 1 overall, it depends on the engine.

I used purple power. I don't think you are supposed to let it dry on the engine though because some of the chrome nuts turned 'cloudy' after I cleaned my engine.. but I'm not sure if they were always like that, or if it was the degreaser. Using carb cleaning with a high pressure spray and a spray tube you can attach to the nozzle worked well for loosening dirt in the hard to reach areas.

S100, sold at all MC shops is a great grease-cutter. It is marketed as a spray-on, wash off total bike cleaner, but it really works well on bottom of the engine grease, used along with a plastic bristle brush or tooth brush.

hi in australia a guy i know very well ,used too be great a detailing cars ,,,,he degreased everything ... he used to buy 4 cans of SUPERCHEAP degreaser for $10it always came up looking majic regards oldbiker

Hey Zinger! Good to see you. Soon as weather permits you need to ride down here and meet DB and GTG. Unforgettable bbq is a given.

As for cleaning caked on dirty greasy sheeeit off of anything, I use engine degreaser. When I got my first car way back when, I took it to the car wash, sprayed the engine with degreaser and hosed her down. It's what you need to use. I think Gunk "Engine Brite" is one brand.

I've always used Yamaha spray on engine cleaner but it's strong and will damage paint etc. Oddly enough it's never damaged the paint on any of my engines though.

The number one cleaner is elbow grease.
About as above, paint thinner.I put it in empty spray bottles like a windex bottle but the sprayer doesn't last long with paint thinner in it. Then the pressure washer, I have a hot water tap in the garage and feed the pressure washer with that and lay the bike over on it's side part way through cleaning. No matter how good I think I am cleaning if I can't see it, it's still dirty. If I have a gas tank full of bad gas I use that for cleaning (outside) with a big tub underneath then torch off the gunk that's left. Yes (even bad) gas is dangerous stuff.

IMG_0400.JPG
My trusty go to, lol. Works great I swear!!

Back