best thing to cover wiring up. custom harness

Leedog

Greenhorn
Reaction score
Hi guys

i am so close to being done my street tracker build. its my first bike and i have learned a Lot!!!

What should I use for wiring covering and what website to get it from?

canada site would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 283
I am honestly gona say, use black electrical tape. It has to be done correct. Take your time, make sure the wires are all nice, even, not over lapping, make even over lapping wraps. IMO nothing looks cleaner, unless you were able to use heat shrink. 99% of my wires I shrink wrapped. Loom and all that looks like cover up.

Yea electrical tape and if you have wire sticking out in somee places use that split wrap that's sold at harbor freight or anywhere automotive stuff is sold

Hey Lee

Tell me about that seat. Made/bought? That is exactly what I want to do, I'm just not talented enough.

I use shrink wrap on the custom harnesses I build but sometimes if you go ahead and wire stuff up you can't use it. So the stock harness used tape and it works perfect too.
Just doesn't have the nice clean look. Here is one with both shrink& tape

Attachments

• 2014-02-24 14.22.02.jpg
    2014-02-24 14.22.02.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 262
heres what i used. not quite as nice as shrink wrap or tape, but easily put on, i think it looks decent, and you can take it off if you need to get to something. This is the 3/8ths inch size, which only holds about 3 wires inside the wrap. i might have wanted to get the bigger size. i got 100 ft for $17 on ebay, so cheap too.

Hi guys,
you show all kinds of wire wrap options, asphalt wrap, heatshrink, spiral wrap, etc., but they only work on straight runs.
What about all those Y-points where a bunch of wires branch off?
Anyone got a better alternative to making a diaper-wrap from electrical tape?

I use antique style wire loom. Check out Mac's Antique Auto parts. Lockport NY. It makes a good looking harness. run your wires through it,and cut holes where you need a wire to exit it.

Princess Auto expandable braided cover Here

Pick up some good shrink tube with adhesive liner to cap the ends of the harness (looks clean and it keeps the braid from unravelling).

You can also cut it part way and pull wires out for branches. Anywhere you cut it, put some heat shrink over the base of the branch to hide the cut.

PS - don't shrink the heat shrink until you're done wiring :doh:

I bought some of this asphalt loom. I'm not done my wiring yet so no pics but it does look pretty good. Heat shrink is probably better though.

whatever you do, do not use shitty plastic loom.

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2165/buy/m-c-parts/electrical-amp-wiring/universal/cycle-standard-asphalt-wire-loom-10-x-1-4-quot-/

Noticed your "Loud Pipes Save Lives" avatar.

I don't think loud pipes save lives. The people that are going to pull out in front of you
can't hear the sound going out the back of your bike.

Loud pipes just give us all a bad rep. No offense, just my opinion

Its already been mentioned a few times, but expandable mesh works great. I can take a picture hopefully tomorrow after I am done, but if you use adhesive lined shrink then you simply overlap it from your connector to the mesh. For the Y connections, solder your connection and shrink the connection. Then pull the wire through a slit in the mesh making sure to leave the start of the mesh and shrink inside of the slit. That way it looks like continuing mesh instead of mesh and then shrink. Also where you cut the mesh make sure to use a hot knife.

Noticed your "Loud Pipes Save Lives" avatar.

I don't think loud pipes save lives. The people that are going to pull out in front of you
can't hear the sound going out the back of your bike.

Loud pipes just give us all a bad rep. No offense, just my opinion
Way to be a troll, new guy.:thumbsup:
I was also going to suggest the stuff from mac's auto. I plan on using it in my 67 fairlane resto.
Another option is to buy extension cord from home depot or whatever. You can buy 3 conductor cord, looks like one wire, nice and waterproof. I used it all over my chop.

Just gotta say it...That seat looks strangely familiar....Unless you've had that seat for a long while i'm going to have to accuse you of idea theft!

kidding....but seriously....too close for comfort almost...lol

Attachments

• 1454650_369599036519762_1211130968_n.jpg
    1454650_369599036519762_1211130968_n.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 1463705_369825356497130_1843803178_n.jpg
    1463705_369825356497130_1843803178_n.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Just gotta say it...That seat looks strangely familiar....Unless you've had that seat for a long while i'm going to have to accuse you of idea theft!

kidding....but seriously....too close for comfort almost...lol

Copying is the greatest form of flattery!

But I don't think they are the same TBH..............

Heat shrink, but ONLY where the wires are EXPOSED. There is no need to wrap hidden wires, and it just makes later trouble-shooting more difficult. Instead just use as few small zip ties as necessary to keep hidden wire bundles neat and away from hot surfaces.

Copying is the greatest form of flattery!

But I don't think they are the same TBH..............

Haha I know they're not. His is stitched different and a Bit rounder. We are both part of the wild seat color clan tho! Its that heel on the back that's similar.

Back