Better late than never!

curbbro

curbbro
Reaction score
image.jpg
Well here we go. I have been lurking around for a few weeks and decided to jump in. I have had this bike for about 18 years, it was the first street bike I ever bought :D. I rode it for about 4 years then ended up buying a new bike, so I started to tear this one apart. I wanted to chop it for the longest time, but life happens and it got pushed further and further back in the garage. Now it's time to get it back on the road! The plan is no longer to chop it. I only have basic hand tools and basic mechanical knowledge, but I should be ok for what I have in mind. Just want to change a few things, add a few things, take a few off, lower it down, and clean it all up. More of a resto mod kind of thing. I don't want to cut it up, and plan to keep everything stockish in case I want to put it back to original someday.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I love a resto mod. You'll get a ton of advise but it sounds like you have a solid plan. Make it yours.

Cleaned up, and primed the trees.
image.jpg

I have to remember to take some before photos next time:doh:. Guess its time to put a small parts order together to rebuild the front end. No since putting all the old bearings back in there. Going to pick everything up to redo the forks while I'm at it.

If you're rebuilding the forks, it's worth doing the Minton mods to improve preload and damping. Consider a fork brace too maybe?
Good luck with the rebuild.

image.jpg
Going a different route with the front end now. Diggin the look of the top tree polished. Wish I would have thought of that before I primed the damn thing. Thanks for the words of encouragement dude-ler, but now I'm not so sure about my original plan. The more time I spend in the garage with this thing the more I realize I will probably never want to restore it back to original. Now all I want to do is start cutting off all the ugly stuff and never look back. Thanks for the advice Shakey, not sure what I want to do but after researching Minton mods it makes since to improve some things while there torn apart anyways.

Not much going lately. Got the forks apart and just waiting on a few things that I ordered to get here.image.jpg I have been trying my hand at polishing some parts, what a pain in the ass! Anyone that has done more than a few parts is the man!

Thanks jdizon, I did find them in my searches, but just wondered if I could save a few bucks somewhere else. $110 bucks a wheel for spokes seems steep.

If they are 40 spoke wheels then they are not XS650 wheels. All the early were 36 spoke and the later a 64 front 48 rear set up. 40 spoke might be Honda or Kawasaki or Harley wheels.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo, maybe someone could help me identify what I have? image.jpg that's the rear hub I'm working with. I have a pic of the front a little earlier in this post.

A Lot depends on how you load your pics. If you use the advanced button below where you right it takes you to another page where you can add things like smileys or attachments. Scroll down to find a Manage Attachments button. This opens a window with 6 browse buttons. Each button takes you to your pics in your computer. Select a pic hit upload. Just be sure the pic fits within the spec listed below the browse buttons. If to large they won't load.
Looking closer at the pics The front has the right number of bolts for the brake rotor. But hard to say a Xs650 rotor fits.
The rear wheel has another piece that holds the sprocket that engages those rubber parts. This is called a cush drive hub. The XS650 never used one. It may be from a mid to late 70's to mid 80's Kawasaki. The KZ series used a 40 spoke wheel with a cush drive.
The front is probably a mate to the rear.
As long as they line up ok using them is just fine.
Leo

Thanks for all the info Leo, the wheels were on it when it was on the road so I should be ok. I just want to make sure when i order bearings for them they will fit. Got a few things done this week image.jpg shaved one of the lowers. I'll start the other tomorrow, not too bad for my first time ever with an angle grinder.:thumbsup:

Back