Better late than never!

Where/how do you mount your brake calipers and stuff after you shave all the tabs off your lowers ? Seems like lots of people shave their forks , but I just never bothered looking at what they did with them after.

I only have a single disk on the front, so nothing was on that side. I'll leave the mounts for the brake on the other one. I don't plan on running a fender so everything else can go.

Just checked your rear hub. Kinda has the pattern of the xs but, not it. Don't know what you have their but, it looks cool. You may have to send the entire wheel to Buchanans or get some rims here somewhere. Getting some stock ones may be cheaper in the end don't know. Your certainly at the right site for whatever your going to do. Good luck

Yeah I think I'm just going to run with the wheels as is for now, just clean them up as good as i can. Maybe rebuild them or get some stockers next winter. The back rim has a couple nicks and will need replaced eventually but it will work for now.

image.jpg Had the day off so I got the other lower done. Cleaned up the swing arm and some more of the frame. Hopefully get to prime and paint them next weekend.

Yeah you could probably find XS wheels for not much more than the $110 spoke sets. I am pretty sure the 74 was the first year for the H alloy rims 1.85 119 front 2.15 18 rear.

Last edited:
I agree, 74 was the first year of the flanged rim. Except 18 inch on the rear, the front is 19 inch.
Leo

Rear wheel and brake hub look like they are from a KZ900, but those Kawasakis used a 630 chain. What does your sprocket look like?

Thanks ggg and leo, that's the way I think I'm going to go later. It has an 18" rear and a 19" front now so I'm just going to roll with them for now. Hmusket this is the sprocket.image.jpg maybe that will shed some light on what they are.:shrug:

The new fork seals are a little different than the old ones.image.jpg Anyone know which way they go in? I'm thinking the side with the spring goes on the bottom but I just want to be sure.

Looking at the hub, researched kz900, found a parts diagram at the Kawasaki company site. You probably have a custom rear sprocket, 38t vs. 34t for XS. Is sprocket about 8" in diameter? Also, your thinking is correct on the fork seals, spring side down.

Attachments

• 3466700_130224_070821_7887.png
    3466700_130224_070821_7887.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 109
Cool, thanks hmusket, the sprocket is 8". I'll do some more hunting to make sure the wheels are from the kz before I order new bearings, but it looks like you solved it for me.:thumbsup: Got a base coat on the frame and swing arm today too.image.jpg Now it's time to order some of the spray max 2k clear that I've heard so many good things about.

I'm with you on that hellbent, I might go a little thinner but I still want to have some comfort on longer trips. And still kind of have a stock look to it. What part of Ohio are you in? I grew up around Columbus. Still have family there, so I'm shooting for a trip up in August to see the build off bikes.:thumbsup:

I feel ya on comfort. My Triumph Bonnie has that flat old school seat. Its pretty comfy but i don't know how it would be on long trips. I'm in Toledo. Been to your hometown quite a bit for football and beer:) Ill be making the trip for the build off bikes as well. Looking forward to seeing all of these great builds and meeting everyone.

Back