Bike dies, then runs, then dies is it my battery

That reading is fine. With slightly less resistance the current flow will be greater and that will give a stronger magnetic feild. Well that's my guess.
Will you notice the difference? Probably not. But it will be there.
Leo

just called the custom rewind guys (guy) he sounds super nice, and even offered to ship me a rotor puller to get my rotor out and send back when I send my rotor in to be repaired. The one thing he did mention was that hes had some time to work on rebuilding these rotors and that he usually gets a reading around 4.5ohms and its not 5-5.5 like the manual says. Not sure if that makes all that much of a difference or not.

If the guy at Custom Rewind says it I'd take it for gospel, nobody knows these alternators better than he does.

He quoted me around $180 for this rewind. why wouldn't I just buy a new rotor from mikes XS for $145..

There's a huge difference in quality. Seriously. You'll find several instances in threads here of Mikes rotors failing or being defective. And Custom Rewind uses higher grade materials and heavier wire than Yamaha used when new. It's worth the difference.

maybe now is the time to think about fitting a pma ?
From what I've read it is 10x better than the stock XS650 alternator setup.
There are about 30+ different bikes whose stock pma used rotor you can use or buy new . There is good guide herehttp://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5536

so a update on this.. after a lot of back and forth with gary over at customrewind. I have my new rotor on the way from him. I'll tell ya you need to be patient with this guy, sometimes he wont answer his phone, or return messages but he seems like a genuinely nice guy who just operates his way. Heres hoping the new rotor does the trick. I'ts been over a month since I've been on the road both my bikes are currently out of commission.. I can feel the fall air whipping around my face already!

I think Gary pretty much runs a one man shop so if he's in the middle of a rewinding job he probably can't stop to answer the phone. You also have to remember that like a lot of us he's getting along in his years and will no longer be pushed as he could probably afford to close up shop today and retire. That said, I think you'll be happy with his work as he put a lot of years into building his reputation and values his name above all else.

Us old dudes are just stubborn like that. With any luck you'll be lucky that way too.

Back