Bike is spitting and sputtering, out of ideas..

Ksboy19

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well my bike is up and running (somewhat)... Im lovin gettin it out and getting the rubber on the road.. So yesterday took out for about a 5 mile trip, no biggie, no problems at all. Then later last night after dinner I planned to take it out for a short evening ride, and i got about about quarter mile and it started sputtering like it had no gas, so I pulled over and the bike died, i promptly fired it right back up. Then I took off towards home and it started sounding like only the left piston was even doing anything. So i just said F-it last night, and went out this morning fired right up, my thoughts were carbs or timing. So I adjusted the carbs to the best of my ability, and it sounded great. Hopped on it and took it for a quick test spin, started sputtering again and eventually died. Kicked it and kicked it a few times, nothing. Let it sit for about 2-3 minutes and it fired right up. I have about a quarter tank with an inline fuel filter. K&N air breathers, nothing too crazy. Im out of ideas on what it could be or what to do. Any help?? :banghead:

Could be that your just low on gas.
Could be you need to switch to reserve or put more in.
Some inline fuel filters can flow less gas at low fuel levels.
The gas cap should vent the tank. If it doesn't let air in it can't let gas out. When it start sputtering open the gas cap. If it's the vent then it should run with the cap open.
On your carb adjustments have you read the carb guide? www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Leo

Well I havent put more in due to the amount left in there still, but I have tried reserve. Now that you mention it, it does seem as those my tank is air sealed, cause it makes that pop sound when I take the lid off. Ill give it a shot, cant say my hopes are high anymore. But anythings worth trying at this point.

Sounds like that caps your problem.I had the same issue except my tank would positive pressurize and would pump gas right past the needle valve.

Swbill- I think Leo had it down, my cap had a rubber seal ring on it, I went out this morning popped it off and rode like a champ. Had it out twice today without a hitch. Its good to know im not the only one whos had this problem, makes me feel like not such a dumb ass haha. At least it was something simple! KNOCK ON WOOD! So Bill, was it you who had problem with your springer front ends paint peeling?

Mike's sells new gas cap seals. No seal and gas can slop out of the tank between the cap and tank. Can mess up the paint.
Pull the three small screws and the inside of the cap comes out. Clean up the parts and make sure the vent hole is open. Put on the new seal. Good to go.
Leo

Swbill- I think Leo had it down, my cap had a rubber seal ring on it, I went out this morning popped it off and rode like a champ. Had it out twice today without a hitch. Its good to know im not the only one whos had this problem, makes me feel like not such a dumb ass haha. At least it was something simple! KNOCK ON WOOD! So Bill, was it you who had problem with your springer front ends paint peeling?

Yea unfortunately thats me,why do you ask?

Man thats a bummer sorry to hear bout that, I was just curious to how it all turned out for you? I was lookin into getting the springer front end over winter.

Back