bike model info??

benway0007

regret what you didnt do
Reaction score
ok rookie question. i have a 1982 xs650 haritage special. i go to get an oil filter and the dealer is busting my stones asking me what i have?? xs650!!! which model they ask,, a,b,c etc?? can someone help me. thanks

The correct answer is: It doesn't matter, ALL XS650s use the same 2 oil screens. But for the record you have an XS650SJ

Take a look at the list here. (page down a bit)http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html
Yes the sump filter is cleanable but..... It's torn, 95% of them are torn. So a new one from yomama or MikesXS is probably needed. Get both the sump and side filter cover gaskets too. Do a search on this site about sump filters everything about them has been discussed endlessly.

The sump filter is cleanable, if you find it torn a $5 package of JB Weld can fix the hole. Even Mike's reinforced sump filters will tear. The A,B,C models represent the years. The 70 was an XS1, the 71 an XS2, 73 was a TX 650, 74 was a TX650 A In 75 they went back to the XS prefix but kept the model suffix in order, as in 75 was the XS650 B. 76 was the XS650 C, 77 the XS650 D and so on. In 78 the added the Specials So they added the S in the model name, as in the 78 standard was XS650 E the special was the
XS650 SE, they had a Special II for a few years and they added a 2 at the end to show them. As in 79 XS650 SF2.
Leo

Back