Bike running really rich, needles all the way down...

Definitely the float arm just touches the pin of the inlet needle. Not intended to compress it in any way. So holding the carbs with pivot up and at a 45 degree angle or whatever it takes to just have the arm settle on the pin is the best. Then take your measurement. Small piece of L shaped cardboard cut to the exact measurement of recommend float height can save some time. I made mine out of a piece of tin that took some time to get a accurate measurement but is now easy to use and is accurate every time I use it.

Float height looked good, I made sure the arm wasn't compressing the pin at all. Ordered some new jet sizes.

I was able to sand the main jet head and see that someone had put 130s in it.

Went ahead and put 127.5s back in and moved the needles back to center. Now she doesn't want to start :( I'll keep messing with it, I didn't realize though that the jets I purchased are "marshall" not mikuni

Most of your local atv, dirt bike and motorcycle shops will have real Mikuni jets for about the same price as Mike's imitation jets.
They might even have a bunch of gently used jets in bins by size. Might save a few pennies. Talk real nice and they might let you bring the bike in and try different sizes till you get them right, then just sell you the jets you actually need.
Leo

Back