Bike Weight???

Any possibility someone with an 81 special could take a peek at the tag on the bike and tell me what the GVWR is. Or even the max weight of each tire would work. I would do it myself but my bike happens to be on the other coast at the moment. I have acquired some gear for it but do not want to haul it all there if i can't use it.:shrug: If you have the stock tires?

If you really gotta know, you weigh the front and then weigh the back ADD them together. With a touch of math you will know your weight distribution as well, repeat it with you on it for even more useless info...

I said it wrong before. I did weigh the front and the back, and used a 2x4 under the other tire to keep the bike level both times (not sure if that mattered). If I remember correctly, the weights were very close, but that's probably due to the 4" stretch I have in the swingarm which would bring the weight distribution closer to 50/50.

On my 81 the sticker states the GVWR is 935 total, the front is 365, the rear is 615.
If you load the bike to the max at either end you need to leave the other end light so you don't exceed the total.
In the books it states the dry weight is 463 lbs. With a full tank and crank case adds about 3 to 4 lbs lbs. So call it 467, round it off to 470. that leaves you around 393 lbs of load, Subtract your weight from that leaves the passenger and any thing else you carry.
Me, I weigh about 200 lbs as dressed to ride, that leaves 193 lbs for extra, A 150 lbs passenger leaves about 43 lbs of stuff.
Not much more than a change of clothes for each.
That's just stuffing the stuff in a small duffle bag and tieing it on.
If you add things like a rear backrest and luggage rack you need to subtract that weight too, saddle bags, soft or hard, tank bag they weigh up to.
Do the math.
By todays standards the xs650 can't carry much. But as long as you stay within the bikes capacity you will be fine.
Leo

Leo, I'd think you'd add about 20 lbs for fuel and oil. Not that it changes things much, but gives you even less capacity to carry extra things. I say ditch the passenger and you can carry pretty much whatever you need. :)

Ride by your local scrap yard and weigh it on their floor scale if it's big enough. Catch them when they're slow. A 4' floor scale will work for stock bikes placed on the scale at an angle, a 6' scale should handle most choppers parked at an angle. The floor scales are generally accurate to 1 pound.

The larger truck scales will also work but most of them are only accurate to the nearest 20 pound increment.

Using multiple scales will get you close but not close enough for State weights and measures to certify them. A little known fact: While State DOT officers can charge a truck driver with being over weight on a single axle using portable truck scales, over gross citations require the entire truck to be weighed on a single platform scale.

And Travis: You are correct that it must be level. Working in a scrap yard required that I get certified as a weighmaster and un-level scales is the cardinal sin of weights and measures.

Here in NC we used to get weight breaks on insurance for lighter bikes. That's one reason the 650 Triumph was so popular here. Because it made the weigh break it could be insured for half the cost of other 350-750cc bikes. Too bad it isn't that way any more.

In Washington state the license fees are dependent on weight. A buddy of mine recently licensed a KZ400 and the lady charged him for 1200 lbs. When he chalenged her, she said that was the minimum. Which is bull shit because my XS400 registration shows 350 lbs.

I said it wrong before. I did weigh the front and the back, and used a 2x4 under the other tire to keep the bike level both times (not sure if that mattered). If I remember correctly, the weights were very close, but that's probably due to the 4" stretch I have in the swingarm which would bring the weight distribution closer to 50/50.

Bingo! That's the correct way to weigh any vehicle. Block up the opposite tire so that they're level with one on the scale. Then do it the other way around.
Otherwise that small angle (fore and aft) will move the relative center of gravity.

Chris

Thanks Leo. I was try'n to do the math but could not remember the GVWR at all, let alone close enough to guess. The bike is on one coast and me and my gear are on the other. Since checked baggage is so expensive i want to make sure i take only what i need and only need what i can get on the bike. I am 240, so i am starting out in the red.lol My biggest fear is my little 12 pound dog chew toy that i left with my buddy will probably weigh 20 pounds by the time i get him back, if my buddies dog is any indication. Thanks again for the info.

Anybody know where on the crankcase i can find the VIN #? I went off the registration for the number but none of the weights or measurements match my bike. It is posta be a 1981 XS Speacial two.
In June I tore the headlight apart and in the middle of marking all the wiring i had to leave town for a family emergency. I am now back and preparing to put it back together but am not real comfortable in the wiring department.
I bought a book but am trying to determine which diagram is for my bike. :doh:

on the front upper crankcase behind the tach drive, under the LH jug. it's stamped vertically.
Here's an 81 diagram from Jayal at 650Rider .com

View attachment 529

Thanks i finally did a major clean job on the bike and found it. I tried the diagram you posted but some of the wiring colors did not match, so i chickened out. Will probably just take it to a local shop.

Back