Bike wont charge.

vtwinjunkie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok so I rebuilt my motor, had to switch wiring harnesses with another year I had laying around because it was too badly hacked (I believe my harness is late 70's) and I am having charging issues now....I am trying to figure out why and my first area I am looking into is a missing component.
does anyone recognize this connector?
13BDF396-orig.jpg

I feel like it could be connected into the charging system some how.

otherwise I suppose it could be my rectifier....I do not have proof that any of this has ever worked as I purchased it as a non running bike.

^I don't recognize it, but I think your harness is earlier and real different electrically from mine. What year do you have exactly? Late bike won't work with an earlier harness. In '80 they went to a different ignition and charging systems. Charging might have changed a year or two earlier, actually.

Google "Curly's charging guide." That plus the manual available on biker.net will get you troubleshooting.

Ok so I rebuilt my motor, had to switch wiring harnesses with another year I had laying around because it was too badly hacked (I believe my harness is late 70's) and I am having charging issues now....I am trying to figure out why and my first area I am looking into is a missing component.
does anyone recognize this connector?
13BDF396-orig.jpg

I feel like it could be connected into the charging system some how.

otherwise I suppose it could be my rectifier....I do not have proof that any of this has ever worked as I purchased it as a non running bike.

The only 9 pin connector is the "Light Checker" that was used on 1978/79/80 years. The actual component was a black rubberized item mounted on the back of the battery box. You will have to have a look at the wiring diagram for those years. The light checker is not a necessary item and can be done away with. If you don't use the component the tail and brake lights won't work because they are wired through that little box. You would have to re-wire the tail and brake lights circuits.

What you need to do is figure out what charging system you have. Is it a 70-79 or 80 up?
The brushes are wire differently and the reg/rec work differently.
What year is the bike? what year is the harness?
They made changes to the electrical systems every couple years. So if more than a year or so it will need some work to get it to work right.
Leo

Back