Bike won't shut off

Irydebikes

XSessively enthusiastic
Reaction score
I have a 79 Special that I bobbed, stock motor, and ignition system and I need some electrical help here. Just wired a Centech AP-2 fuse block in rather than having a bunch of inline fuses hanging around. I have the + terminal from the batery running to the BATT post on a 3 position ignition switch (from Lowbrow customs). I ran a line from the IGN post to the fuse block to get power to it, as well as the brown wire from the voltage regulator (I am using the TC bros simplified wiring harness). I have my lights (head and tail) running off one of the fuses, the ignition running to one of the others, and one running to the red wire out of the Rectifier. The black wire from the rectifier goes to the - battery termunal. Evrything runs great, but UI can turn the bike off and pull the key out etc... while the bike continues to run. I have to pull the plug wires off to kill it. What the heck did I do, and how do I fix it?! Any help would me HUGELY appriciated!!!

The red wire from the rectifier is wrong if you wired it to a fuse. The red wire from the rectifier (rectifier output)should connect to the same point that the battery + connects to the ignition switch. Also wise to have a 20 amp fuse in the line from the battery + to the ignition switch.

You badly need to spend some time reviewing Wiring Diagrams in the "Tech" section (top of page).

Thanks Gentleman! I forgot to list that i DO have a 20A inline fuse from the battery to the ign switch. I'll double check that I get the rectifier hooked up properly. I am typing from sleep deprived memory at work right now. I really appreciate the help!

You want to run the red from the +battery, thru the 20 amp fuse to the key switch. Then a "hot" from the key switch to the fuse block. Then you can power items from the block, such as brake lights, horn, ect. There is a thread called "where did you mount your upgraded fuse block" and XSLeo tells how to do it. Just search "fuse block" and you'll find it.

If you just want it to turn off, just connect the coil +12 to the switched side of the igntion switch.

Like this.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 626
The way you have the rectifier wired it's feeding charging voltage from the alternator to the ignitionl system even if you turn the key off. This same voltage is exciting (powering) the rotor keeping the voltage output going thus the motor running.

Take your 20 amp in line fuse from the battery, connect it to the rectifier and the switch's "Line side" (from battery) then run your switch leg to the fuse bank and on to your circuits. Then when you turn off the key the rectifier can't feed charging voltage to the ignition and it will quit.

Ken in TN

The yamaha wiring Explained
http://www.mikesxs.net/ken_maxwell/WiringExplained.html

^Yes, that's another possibility. I was assuming a lot. Good to see you again Ken!

Back