Biltwell Novelty helmet

What's the good of a novelty helmet if it's not Dot and approved for riding use. I don't get it. Looks i guess.

With novelty helmets the foam is thinner then DOT versions. So in reality there not as safe in a crash. Biggest reason people don't like the DOT helmets is the mushroom head look you get.

^^^ This, the fact that they are much cheaper to buy then a DOT helmet. Some people including my self do not like the helmet laws to start with, so opt for a novelty style helmet.

It depends on what you think your head and your life are worth. If a rider comes off a motorcycle and his head hits the payment, the medical people have a name for the rider......................organ donor.

All this talk of head injuries makes me think of riding with a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. You can die just as easily (albeit not as quickly) from road rash, infection, internal trauma, and broken bones. :(

^^^^ exactly. They don't call them brain buckets for nothing. Yes they do increase the safety factor, but from the numerous crashes I have seen, the cause of death is not head trauma..

from the numerous crashes I have seen, the cause of death is not head trauma..

The statistics say head trauma is the leading cause of death and disability and that a helmet reduces it by around 30%. But the libertarian in me says do whatever you want to your own body.

I havnt checked into the actual statistics in some years, so not going to say your wrong, lol. I'm basically on the same page. It is up to the rider IMO. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not knocking anyone who wears or doesn't choose to.

I havnt checked into the actual statistics in some years, so not going to say your wrong, lol. I'm basically on the same page. It is up to the rider IMO. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not knocking anyone who wears or doesn't choose to.

Lol well put brother! We don't have helmet laws here, and thats good I hate wearing the dam thing! :eek:

Posted via Mobile

Personal choice................But who really pays for your choice. If you are dead, maybe some compensation for the family left behind and they can move on.

Brain damage or a permanent disability is for others to pay for the rest of your life. The least we can do as responsible riders is to be as safety conscious as possible and wear real protective gear.

To conservative and ridiculed by some, but i have made it this far with all my fingers and toes, (and worked in a high risk industry all my life), and i intend to do all i can to keep them.

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 477
When people ask if I am uncomfortable because I'm sweating in my full leathers (+ a number of lids from a tiny half to an AFX full face) at a gas station, I say no, it's because I'm dropping ten bucks now for something thats just going to burn up in an hour...and I'm talking to you and not in the wind RIDING!!!

BTW whenever I'm in a state where they don't require them, it gets strapped to the back when I want to:wink2:

When I had my little run in with the lady on her cell phone driving a huge SUV who stopped sideways two car lengths in front of me, I put the bike down to avoid running into her broadside and slid past her front end instead, taking a small piece of the SUV with me so she couldn't just drive off. My head was the first thing that hit the pavement. BAM..:eek:...Then it bounced...three times....BAM...BAM...BAM.:wtf:....as me and the bike slid down the road about a half a block and I recall each time my head hit the pavement saying to myself.."Damn...it's a good thing you are wearing a helmet"...:thumbsup:...I had some road rash on the back of my hands, ankles, elbows, knees and my ass had a really huge bruise that swelled up so big they had to cut my jeans off at the hospital. Good thing I had on clean underwear, just like my mother used to always tell me in case you are in an accident and end up in the hospital. I think that all mothers tell that to all the children.

I had a DOT shorty helmet at the time and my head is big to begin with. I recall once going into a convenience store with the helmet on and this really hot woman looked right at me and laughed out loud! :laugh: :laugh:

So, after the wreck, I went out and bought an even bigger helmet. One with a full face flip up mask. White instead of black for better visibility. I'm a couple of years older now since that hot lady laughed at me. Now, the hot women don't even notice me, but I'm OK with that. At least, thanks to the helmet, my brain is still working. :bike:

(Oh, really? Then why are you still riding motorcycles? :doh: )

2 busted helmets in street crashes, and zero concussions or other damage. I'm not enough of a selfish asshole to stick the public at large or my family with a pile of "death bills" just because I want to flip off a safetycrat. I prefer to survive crashes, and so I wear a helmet every time I ride. Some ass hats say dumb shit like: I only wear one on long trips or when I get on the highway. Guess what genius, it's the same distance from the side of your melon to the concrete in your driveway as it is to the interstate. I split a helmet in a 4 mph crash and in a 50+ mph crash. Both times the side of the head at the ear line struck the ground first, and immediately rolled the head sideways and drug the face of the lid on the ground. I have rugged good looks, but they don't come from dragging my mug down the road.
$0.02.

'' Selfish asshole '' Nice to call out people that who do not feel the same as you do in the helmet area. I guess everyone who smokes, drinks, skydives, drag races, ect, lives life the way they like to is selfish assholes as well ?

I guess everyone

Not everyone. And it's none of the public's business, no matter what the public claims as its business. But if someone for example had a baby daughter and and he engaged in risky behavior then he might fit that label. But still it's rightly nobody else's business.

I seriously can't imagine not wearing a helmet:wtf:

It's the law here so even patched gang members wear helmets (not nec. full face of course but helmets none the less). They don't seem to complain nor would i tell them they look like a pussy.

I've never ridden further than up the road in no traffic to test something sans helmet. Ive also had one save my life.

Choosing not to wear one for coolness reasons is about as pointless as not wearing a seatbelt cause it makes you a look badass... Each to his own though.

I suppose you yanks would pay in your health insurance which we don't have to down here?

It's not about being cool, or about impressing anybody. It is a choice as a rider that we all should be able to make. I guess those who do not look at it that way will never get. When I'm blasting through the woods at 60plus mph or my quad I certainly have one on, but wouldn't if I decided to take a cruise around town on the bike and it wasn't a law here. Also I'm certainly not going to call people who do wear them a pussy or sissy. Again it is a choice thy we should be able to make.

'' Selfish asshole '' Nice to call out people that who do not feel the same as you do in the helmet area. I guess everyone who smokes, drinks, skydives, drag races, ect, lives life the way they like to is selfish assholes as well ?

Drag racing and skydiving as a comparison........... Wouldn't be allowed to do either if any of the rules were not adhered to. No choice there.

My son in-law's brother hit his head on the pavement skateboarding. He suffered brain damage. He was very lucky and within 2 years he was back to 99% full health. 18 when it happened and he will never be 100%

Back