Biltwell Novelty helmet

Well, here in South Carolina, the law for mandatory helmet use is for those under 18, so the rest of us can do as we please. I used to take the occasional evening ride without a helmet in the heat of the summer to enjoy the feel of the wind blowing through my hair, but since my accident, I don't do that anymore. Not meaning to wish bad luck on anyone, but if you are ever in an accident, and your head hits the pavement, as mine did, it will make a believer out of you. And, it's pretty hard to have an accident without your head hitting the pavement...:eek:

Your missing my point entirely. With that I'm done in this thread. Again I'm not downing anybody who decideds to wear or not to wear one. Your life your choice, others shouldn't be allowed to tell you how to live it day to day. We all take risks everyday, but certainly don't call me a selfish asshole or a idiot becuase of my choices on this subject.

In a work environment safety is everyone's responsibility and if some one is not following safety procedure then it is the responsibility of any one who observes the unsafe practice to rectify the unsafe practice..

If i see a motorcycle rider wearing a full face helmet, (Illegal not to wear a helmet here), and shorts, singlet and thongs, (it is common to see this), i do think to my self he is an idiot and if i came across an accident i thought was caused by someone wearing that type of gear i would help others in need before i helped that person.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/tas-motorcycle-crash-kills-two/story-e6frfku9-1226783291962

Your missing my point entirely. With that I'm done in this thread. Again I'm not downing anybody who decideds to wear or not to wear one. Your life your choice, others shouldn't be allowed to tell you how to live it day to day. We all take risks everyday, but certainly don't call me a selfish asshole or a idiot becuase of my choices on this subject.

Well, you entered the thread saying you didn't think head injuries were the main problem, and we countered that with the facts. But we are also all acknowledging your right to personally do whatever you want. So I'm not sure what you're really after.

I your goal is getting validation for not wearing a helmet, it's not going to happen in this thread full of helmet wearers. I'll do Pete one better and state that I've never ridden without a helmet even once. But it could be in part because I have no hair for the wind to blow through :)

650Skull,

Well, unless you want to wear "full leathers" there is no difference between shorts and full length pants except for the Kevlar jeans. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, jacket and jeans. The jacket was ripped off of me and the shirt and jeans were shredded exposing my elbows, knees and ankles to road rash which ripped to the bone on one of my ankles. I had instinctively put my arms above my head as I hurtled down the road with the result that the backs of my hands were shredded. I somehow got my big toe on the right foot caught in the bike and it was crushed, resulting in the loss of a toe nail which took two years to grow back. So, I don't want to wear full leathers, as some do, especially here in the South. I still want to enjoy the ride, so my safety garb consists of a vented leather jacket (elbows) with a back shield, the helmet (brains), boots (ankles and toes) and gloves (backs of hands). In the summer, I wear an Army surplus helicopter pilots jacket made with a fire proof and abrasion resistant material (MIL-J-83382C). If I encountered an accident with victims in various garb, I would attend to the most seriously injured first regardless of what they were wearing.

Here is why you wear high top boots when riding:

left ankle.jpg

Last edited:
i don't understand why threads about helmet use gets so heated. i don't hear anyone bitching about wearing a seat belt in a car. michigan recently repealed their mandatory helmet law (with stipulations of course) but i still wear mine 99.9% of the time.

back to the original subject, two years ago i bought one of the bell 3/4 helmets and wore it for a season with goggles. fit fine but i will admit i looked a bit like the great gazoo. lol!

The_Great_Gazoo.png

If you have a pile of money or great health insurance and no family or estate to support, then knock yourself out (pun intended) if you have zero coverage for your ass, or a wife and kids counting on you as a provider, and "choose" to ride without a helmet, yes, you are a selfish asshole.
Personal responsibility goes beyond just paying your bills. I don't know many that can afford to drop dead tomorrow. I don't have a half million in term life because I WANT to die, it's in case I do in spite of prudence and good judgement. Do what you want, but I don't want to pay your uninsured hospital bills anymore than I want to pay for illegals health care. And it's a fact that Injuries and treatment costs are higher with preventable head injuries.

Something about safety gear makes it an emotional subject.

The Ford Motor company introduced seat belts on all their cars in 1956. Nobody else had them and they were not yet mandated by an overprotective government, but the sale of Ford automobiles plummeted as a result because people thought that Ford cars were so unsafe that you had to be protected by seat belts. (Human logic is very flexible!)

Ralph Nader lead the way in saving us from ourselves and incompetent manufacturers. The legs in office chairs were extended to protect those idiots who leaned way back in their chairs and fell. Now, people are tripping over the extended legs and breaking their necks because the fall is from a greater height.

Backup alarms were installed on all mobile construction equipment to prevent someone being run over by a back hoe in reverse. They increased the loudness of the alarm for the hard of hearing. This resulted in increased worker fatigue due to the noise and more workers were injured or killed by back hoes backing up because they were so fatigued by the noise that they failed to move out of the way.

Government lawyers got involved in designing air bags. Airbags have killed more children and small women than they have saved.

Aircraft automation and computers have been refined to the point where any fool can fly an airplane. The result is that the airlines are now hiring fools to fly the airplanes.

Guns are not allowed in schools. Period. The result is nut cases go to schools because they know there are no guns there.

Key less entry cars are all the rage now. So, the car thieves cannot hot wire them anymore. They have to wait for you to show up to open the door, and take you along for the ride.

Backup cameras are popular in cars, but Ralph Nader is still there to protect us from ourselves, so they put in an internal backup beeper when you are in reverse. Made it loud for the hard of hearing, so now you can't hear the kid on his tricycle screaming as your right rear wheel drives over his little tiny foot.

Cruise ships must have enough lifeboats for all the passengers, even though a ship will generally list heavily to one side before sinking, rendering the life boats on the high side unusable.

So, what can we conclude? That safety is an incident dependent thing and that it is difficult to devise a safety device or procedure that will cover all predictable cases, because an accident by definition is unpredictable.

Last edited:
Pete, there are good ideas and less bright ideas and in between. It's great that somebody mandated covers over industrial pulleys. Maybe screens in cars are a bad idea even if it covers the rear. It's good that motorcycle helmets are available. And maybe we can fill the lifeboats before the ship starts to list :)

I have to admit, my dot approved full face helmet does make me look like a mushroom, but that's still better than coming off and having my head look like an omelette. My dad was the first person on the scene of a nasty motorcycle accident. The poor sod who came off skidded for so long that the helmet ground through, best to leave the rest out. You can imagine... Guess if your time is up, it's up.

Man....you no gear riders are fuckin weird. I work with a guy from oklahoma. He just doesnt get why i wear full gear...even while touring across country.

Well, not wanting to jinx myself, but I haven't put a bike down, yet. I know it's going to happen at some stage, so in preparation for that day I wear my gear all the time. After seeing Pamcopete's ankle work, I'll be wearing my boots all the time too. Anyone willing to share "first time I put a bike down" stories?

1st time 15~ years ago.... likely more :rolleyes:

Showing off on a CB360 h*nda I hit the top of second and started slowing down... with only the rear brake:doh:. The front was sans mc so inoperable. Gotta love free bikes:)... 75' before a perpendicular pinto (dead end street) and, eeeeeh... about 3-4 feet to the right of it, a telephone pole then house :(.

....Thread the needle...

Quick downshift!... Click, reeee! Cl-- F*CK! only one below 2nd. "Step" on brake, the back brake locks, fishtails left, right, left and BAM down on right. Ten feet before I smack the rear wheel of the pinto with the frame. All it did to the pinto was a little dent on each side of the hub cap. The CB... popped the rear tire, broke the tail light, popped both carbs out of the head, and broke rh side cover.

Jumped up, helmet still on, turned around and yelled "I'm OK". Wearing a tee shirt and jeans I got a pretty good raspberry on my right palm and hip. That night my friend gave me his leather jacket. Next day new tube, pop carbs back in, afix extra tail light from other free parts bike :)D)...:bike:

I live where there are no helmet laws but most don't realize in order to ride without a helmet you must have full covergae health insurance. They really don't care if you get hurt they just don't want to pay for your repairs. I never heard of anyone getting pulled over and asked for an insurance card either? Motorcycle insurance is not required in Florida too???

I still where a helmet about all the time. I have many different styles depending on the ride. I still feel safer with a half helmet because i can hear better and that helps with being aware what is around you in close driving situations. Full face snell for the track, 3/4 for long long rides with my bluetooth installed and some old school painted ones for related events. When I do take short local runs to visit neighbors without a helmet it feels very strange to me.

In the UK, we have no choice. I have been riding since I was a kid in the fields. However once I got onto bigger kit (80cc :) ) when I was 8 ish I have worn helmets since and now I have forgotten how it feels to ride without one. Would I like to ride without one? Yes, for the odd occasion but I now feel much happier with one on. For those of you who are fortunate enough to still make the choice, embrace it, you are lucky not be told what is best for you. At the end of the day, the decision lies with the individual. However, the consequences of that decision should also rest there.

I'll chime in here I hate seat belts and have paid the fine that go's with it. It's all about choices we here in the USA should have weather I use a seat belt or helmet it shoild be our choice not the state or ins.co.( I'm a selfish asshole, I don't like seat belts, helmets,
or front brakes on my chopers or our gov. telling me what to do!!!)

Back