Biltwell Novelty helmet

I'll chime in here I hate seat belts and have paid the fine that go's with it. It's all about choices we here in the USA should have weather I use a seat belt or helmet it shoild be our choice not the state or ins.co.( I'm a selfish asshole, I don't like seat belts, helmets,
or front brakes on my chopers or our gov. telling me what to do!!!)

Hell yea brother! That make two selfish asholes lol:thumbsup::laugh:

Posted via Mobile

I'm in medical school, and work in a hospital in a major city. You would not believe how mangled a lot of patients are when they come in from being in motorcycle accidents.

There have been MANY studies done on protective gear, and they mostly agree: If wearing a DOT approved helmet, you are ~30% more likely to survive a high speed accident.

I'm convinced.

The amount of road rash between a t-shirt, 'regular' leather jacket, and armored motorcycle jacket is like night and day. It makes a HUGE difference. Wearing the jacket is just as important as it fitting properly, and being fastened properly. You would be surprised how fast the road will burn through a 'regular' leather jacket.

Again, I'm convinced after seeing as many motorcycle accident patients as I have.

I used to ride with a 3/4 helmet, jeans, and a 'regular' leather jacket....

Now I wear a SNELL full face, and armored pants and armored jacket. Do you know what the funniest thing is?? I'm COOLER (temp wise) in the summer wearing my armored motorcycle pants and armored jacket than I ever was in jeans and a leather jacket. The vents and mesh in quality protective gear are engineered very well, to the point where the 'proper' armored gear is actually much more comfortable and cooler than your 'normal' clothes. Go figure...

I worked in an ER for 11 years and have seen some real carnage. Motorcycle and bicycle. saw some nasty stuff in car accidents. In Maine the use of a helmet is optional--some wear them and some don't. I have to date never crashed a motorcycle- and I have been riding since 1958. I have gone through four crash helmets bicycle racing along with the road rash and broken collar bones. I wear full gear when I ride. It is comfortable and I feel more protected. I have no problem with people who don't wear helmets or gear. The person I ride regularly with, wears a tank top, jeans, sneakers, and no helmet. He does wear fingerless gloves. He keeps his helmet in his pannier in case we cross into Vermont or New York. He's a damn good rider and whips his Road Glide around like a sport bike. He is a safe rider who takes no chances.

This whole discussion harks back to the issue of free will, a concept we have cherished since we found out we had it. Over the years there have always been a portion of the population that "knows better" and tries to set down rules we should all abide by. That is in direct conflict with our free will. If enough of these people convince the majority of others that their rule will save lives, or feed the hungry, or make our lives better in some way, they all put it to a vote and everyone gets to live with the rule. The down side is that with every rule, a little of our free will is taken away. Some folks justify the lose as a greater good. Some folks feel it is just another change , and some just hate anything that takes something from them. Both sides are selfish and both sides are right. Just remember that Mom wouldn't let you have ice cream until you ate your peas. Just like some folks won't let you fall down without cleaning up your mess. That doesn't make Mom an ass-hole and it doesn't make ice cream any less tasty.

^Something I read years ago puts it in a realistic perspective. It follows Buffy, Megan and Tawny from high school, through their careers writing the rules and regulations for us :)

Back