Bit of a tidy up.

how did you achieve that without using a relay kev ?
Are you running the headlight supply directly through the light switches ?:eek:

I have had to bypass the safety relay, there are no on off light switches I have a stateside harness, so now it's like my old stateside Kawasaki csr you turn the key and the lights come on, it will not be a problem.

gotcha :thumbsup:
it is just a cable link across the relay switch with a piece of wire so that the lights are constantly on .
The only problem with this arrangement is when your battery is a little flat.... the lights will sap your battery when using the starter motor which is why yamaha put the relay in:wink2:
You could put a remote light isolating switch in the wire link if it becomes a problem

gotcha :thumbsup:
it is just a cable link across the relay switch with a piece of wire so that the lights are constantly on .
The only problem with this arrangement is when your battery is a little flat.... the lights will sap your battery when using the starter motor which is why yamaha put the relay in:wink2:
You could put a remote light isolating switch in the wire link if it becomes a problem

Hopefully wth the PMA that should not happen, I'm getting 13.5 volts at battery on idle and 14.6 at 2000 rpm, the PMA should more than cater for the bikes electrical needs.

excellent ! I'll have to get around to building myself a PMA this spring .

Have not posted much on this lately but the old girl is almost ready for it's MOT test, a few bits coming from Heiden tuning in Holland hopefully will get a couple of pics over the weekend.

excellent! :thumbsup:
hope you've got a helmet cam to record your first run. :popcorn:

Have not got a helmet cam, but I shall try to rig up my mobile phone to record it, will only be going round the block to make sure everything is ok before the MOT.

A short but not very good quality video shot with cell phone of the 78/9 XS650 running more or less as she should, a few carb tweaks to do yet, the 2 into one exhaust sure makes them sound different

sounds great Kev , great tickover good throttle response. you must be well chuffed.
2 into 1 certainly sounds a lot different ..i wonder whayt effect it has on power through the range.
Is that with the original BS38 carbs ?

sounds great Kev , great tickover good throttle response. you must be well chuffed.
2 into 1 certainly sounds a lot different ..i wonder whayt effect it has on power through the range.
Is that with the original BS38 carbs ?

Really happy with the results, for a while there i wanted to take to it with a sledge hammer, nothing to do with Yamaha just the complete and utter incompetent previous owners and bodges, they are the original BS38s and the exhaust i put on before i did the tidy up, it performed well and was more responsive than the two reverse cones that were on it, now it's got a Boyer and when i do the final Carb tweaking it should be even better. Will post again when that's done.

New inlet rubbers arrived, shame they don't make them with the vacuum barbs, so out to the old lathe and a pair of 5mm threaded ones made up, glued them in with high temp gasket glue and a wrap of plumbers tape near the top end, i have used my old clamps and metal cages as the new ones that came with the rubbers were poor quality.

WP_20160223_001_zpshiazcde9.jpg

WP_20160223_002_zps8k81vqvd.jpg

WP_20160223_004_zps7z3ghisb.jpg

nice job. All the new rubbers seem to be really poor quality and skimpy on the rubber.
I'm thinking of getting a carb synchronometer instead

Attachments

• synchometer.jpg
    synchometer.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 126
These ones are exactly the same apart from the lack of barb as the old ones and the same brand. With that kind of synchroniser you have to remove the air boxes, I wanted to avoid that and keep my vacuum taps also, putting the barbs in is very easy.

thats a good point about the air filters, even the Ramair foam filters are a royal pita to refit.
Nce job on tapping the rubbers anyway. What are you going to use to cap them when not syncing.?

Hooray took the old girl for it's MOT SAFETY Test today and came away feeling very pleased, passed with flying colours headlight aim was adjusted there for me. The tester a rider was also impressed with the standard of work and praised the bike and me accordingly, i think i will put solid handlebar mounts on it as i don't like the way they move when you give a handful of throttle, i am going to ride it for the summer before painting it next winter.

WP_20160315_001_zpsftpo2pu4.jpg

WP_20160315_002_zpss8ukbld6.jpg

fantastic !.....well done that man.:thumbsup:

Nothing quite like riding your bike for the first time to the MOT station.:bike:

Would have had a video but the camera battery died on the way, now to road tax it, then the video.

Back