Blinker indicator wiring question

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I installed a different instrument cluster got everything working, But the turnsignal indicator light betweeen the tach and speedo. I tapped into one of the wires on the flasher which works, but the light stays on all the time about half brightness and flashes normal when I put on the turnsignals.

My questions
1. Is ok to leave it llike this, will it hurt anything?
2. Which wire should I attach this light to so it only comes on with the blinkers?

The diagram is hard to decipher there but it looks like the indicator light is in series with the lamps rather than parallel ("tapped into"). I don't know why either wouldn't work though, and it's odd that it would be half on all the time.

Not sure which way is series or parallel, but wen I attached it to each left and right blinker I got 4 ways. There are only two wires and a ground.

I don't mind that it is on all the time as long as it doesn't fry something like the flasher or what ever else.

Series would be like if you ran the signal from the flasher through the indicator lamp. Instead of tapping the indicator lamp off the wire.

what year/model you you working with?

Attachments

• turn signal wiring.PNG
    turn signal wiring.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I'm seeing Dg (dark green) and Ch (chocolate). Ch is left, Dg is right. My diagram shows both wires go from connector in dash, tapping into corrosponding wires to rear signals.

So, wire goes out of handlebar control to a connector. Here it splits one wire to front signal-other to rear. The dash light taps into rear signal wire after the connector. So if you think about it, the indicator light is controled by the rear signal wire, Ch or Dg. The brown/white wire goes from handle bar to flasher. Then brown out of flasher to brown (main vain) to fuse. Y/G goes to canceling unit.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
gentlemanjim;
The turn indicator bulb does not get connected to the flasher unit. The indicator bulb has 2 wires...............connect 1 to the dark brown (chocolate)..........connect 1 to the dark green. Dark brown and dark green are the wires that go directly to the turn signal bulbs.

From what you say, it appears you may also have the wrong wattage bulb in the indicator bulb position. The indicator bulb must be only 3.4 watts. If you have a higher wattage bulb then the circuit will not work correctly ( i.e. may flash like a 4-way). Also make sure you are using 27 watt bulbs (#1156) for the turn signals.

Do you have one or two turn signal indicators in the dash? If one the way RG mentioned is the way.
If you have two indicators then one wire from the indicators to ground the other to the Chocolate and Dark Green.

Thanks for so much help and interest.
1. The bike is XS400R Seca
2. The instruments are XS650 w/1 indicator light.
3. I was able to sort everything else out as the color coding is nearly identical
4. RG - I'm gonna try your recommendataion. I was wiring the indicator light one to the flasher and one to ground. I will now attach one to each of the respective signal lights.

YEAH!

Well it comes as no surprise that you were right. That (what I thought black wire) is dark green. Problem solved.

Now my next electrical dilema - HORN. I'll start another post. - Help please....

Well it comes as no surprise that you were right. That (what I thought black wire) is dark green. Problem solved.

Now my next electrical dilema - HORN. I'll start another post. - Help please....

one side hot (light brown wire) other side pink grounding thru horn button, make sure your handle bar has a good ground to frame

Back