Blown reg/rec fuse

rider119

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just got all my wiring done and my bike back together, gave her a few kicks and nothing. Started checking the wiring and the 20amp fuse to my reg/rec was blown. Anyone know what the causes of that would be?

Attachments

• xs650 wiring.JPG
    xs650 wiring.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 59
Possibly a short to ground some where. Do you have all your electrical in a fake oil bag? If so you probably rubbed w ire against the oil bag enough to short.
Your reg/rec should not be in an oil bag anyway. It gets hot and needs good air flow to not overheat.
The fuse between the reg/rec and the junction to the fuse going to the key and the other fuse from the battery to fuse are not really needed. Hook the red wire from the reg/rec to the red wire coming from the battery, then hook these two wires to the fuse going to the key.
The way you have it is ok but you are just wasting fuses.
By the way the fuse TO the reg/rec is the wrong way to describe it. It carries power FROM the reg/rec.
Leo

No, nothing is in an oil bag. I'll check the grounding. Well I'd rather blow a couple cent fuse than fry my pma, rec/reg or something else.

rider119,
XSLeo is correct you are not providing any added protection with those two extra fuses. For that particulr fuse to blow I would suspect a loose ground connection at the regulator/rectifier creating a high resitance draw or a frayed wire as already suggested.

Last edited:
Glad you popped a fuse, instead of toasting something expensive. The regulator may have grounded the battery supply. Fascinating how one fuse in a series can blow, leaving the other intact. Murphy's law rules. Just to refresh:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315468#post315468

After you get the wiring settled-out, then you could opt for simplifying like your original diagram...

Just curious if those fuses being where I have them are hurting anything? As I see it they're doing no harm, just protecting from something going wrong?

Back