Bobber Build by a total Newb

Here's where I'm at

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for the compliment, but I am one of the least knowledgable on the forum here. I think I'm ok with the fabrication and engineering aspect, but in terms of knowledge about the xs I'm very low on that totem pole...but getting better.

those wheels look great. I've got to figure out what to do with mine.

I really don't know much about the motor yet. I've not broken mine down. That's likely to happen over the winter for me. I was as overwhelmed as you are when I started and I didn't have crates full of motor parts and pieces.

The one thing I do know for sure is that this forum and the people here have all of the answers you'll need. The people and the information are both top notch for sure!!!!

Yesterday I attempted to adjust the cam chain tension while idling. I'm still not quite sure exactly what it should look like, but I know the pin was moving in and out a bit too much at first. I turned the adjustment nut in a couple of turns and it definitely took some of the movement out of it, but it was difficult to tell exactly how much movement I was getting. That pin moves in and out so fast it's tough to get a good feel for it. I'm guessing it was moving 3mm at first and now I think I having it down closer to the 1-2mm suggested. Now I need to take another look at the tappets and the timing.

I took the bike out last night and "opened it up" a bit...wow, this little bike will move. I really need to get new rubber on it so I can really "test" it out. I'm very impressed with the pep of this motor.
Back when I was first looking for a bike to hardtail I had read some debate about wether one should get an xs650 or a honda cb550. Having had a '75 cb550 in the past I was leaning that way at first because I knew my around it at least a little bit. My conclusion is that the xs650 is THE bike to hardtail hands down. However, if I were to look for a classic to keep stock I'd go with a 70's cb550/750. I think stock they just have a better look than the xs.
I do miss this one...
hondarightside9-20-09.jpg

But if I had to choose between the stock cb and the hardtailed xs I'll keep the xs thank you!!!!

The other day when I "opened it up" a bit...I apparently shot my left side baffle out. I know in an earlier post I said the baffles didn't quiet it as much as it just cut the shrill tones a bit...well they definitely make it quieter. Once I lost the baffle I thought it was going to blow up...:laugh:...then I realized what happened and thought holy cow that's loud:yikes:...and my other bike is a harley:wink2:

I'll stand by what I said before, these baffles really do make it sound better.

I ordered tires this week and skateboard wheels for a tensioner I'm going to build. Can't wait!

I went ahead and decided on the shinko 240 rear and the 3.50 avon speedmaster up front. Right now I have a 110/90 on the front and I'm afraid the avon is going to look skinny compared to the 110. I like the look of a fat front tire...I just hope the avon doesn't look ridiculous once it's mounted up. It seemed pretty tough to find a tread pattern that would look decent with the 240 that wouldn't break the bank.

My shinko 240 came in today. I mounted it up but I'm kinda regretting it right now. That tire is so tall...it's probably a good 1.5-2" larger in diameter than the old 130/90-16 that was on it. It changes everything...the angle of the seat, the stance feels completely different...frame rails aren't parallel to the ground anymore at all...I'm not sure I like it. There is no way that a mt90 is the equivalent of a 130/90...there's nothing about those tires that are the same...width or height.

Here's the shinko
null-60.jpg

Here's the old 130/90
null-48.jpg

I'm afraid that with the avon speedmaster going on the front that it's going to make the change in stance even worse by lower the front a bit. I don't think the speedmaster is taller than the 110/90 that's on it now...if anything it's probably going to be shorter rotating the stance even further forward...
I suppose I will get used to it...I'm going to have to...I'm not spending another dime on tires for this thing...

I'm probably over-reacting...

I'm thinking now my next set might be the shinko 230 tour master or the pirelli mt66...either set would have been cheaper than what I just bought:doh:

Dang man you are coming along quickly I feel like I'm going backwards compared to yer build. Nice bike man and sorry if i kinda highjacked yer thread when i sent those pic's of my project i didn't know how to put then on one post.

yes I agree. I choice the Dunlop K70 front http://recs.richrelevance.com/rrser.../72/963/20554/ITEM/Dunlop-K70-Front-Tire.aspx It seemed to have that old school pattern. Not to sure how much grip it has

I looked at those too Carbon. If they had a rear that fit the 16 I'd have gotten those as a set. It just seems like there are no good matching sets for the 16 rear and 19 front with a more vintage look without paying out the nose. The bridgestone accolade looks good too for a front tire...kind of a cross between the look of the avon speedmaster and the k70. Too many tires...too little time.

Live and learn brother, live and learn...
I think you'll get used to it.

I know bro...I'm sure it'll be fine...it's like buying a pair of shoes without being able to try them on and walk around in them first...expensive shoes...:laugh:

As easy as I am on tires I'll be stuck with these or a while...unless I get a little more aggressive:bike:...I put a new dunlop 402 on the back of my electra glide 6000 miles ago and it still looks new. I don't know what some guys do to eat tires like they do, but I must be a sissy the way I ride:)

Dang man you are coming along quickly I feel like I'm going backwards compared to yer build. Nice bike man and sorry if i kinda highjacked yer thread when i sent those pic's of my project i didn't know how to put then on one post.

no prob Frankenbob, on the bright side you've got all winter to figure it all out. As good as my motor it running right now I may just clean it up and not break it down this winter at all. For me there's no point in pulling the top end unless I know I've got a problem and there sure doesn't appear to be.

You could probably sell that Shinko pretty easily if it's not looking right to you. I have that same Shinko on mine and on mine, I actually love the slight geometry change that it made, bringing the rear up a little, etc.

But to be honest I only have it for that reason!

For riding reasons I'm pretty sure a tire where the tread pattern goes all the way around, instead of the squarish section Shinko would be better.

Funny, the guy at a bike shop who installed it for me (I took him the rim) told me it was a VW beetle tire.
I didn't feel like arguing with him - effin' know it all SOB.

He sure took my $70 and popped it on in like 10 minutes for me though BEFORE mentioning that it's a car tire.

sigh...

Back