bobber winter build

cpt137

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my seventh Xs650. I own 3 now. I bought this local already hardtailed, the engine had many oil leaks so I took the top end off to re-gasket, the guy I bought it from said it ran fine. I live by TC bros so I had them do the powder coating and have bought a lot of parts from them and am very happy with their work and customer service. I shaved the legs and plan on having all the alloy a satin look.
Had to get new tubes as they were pitted pretty bad. Shaved the top tree, had a lot of parts powder coated satin black. Using John Deere Blitz on the wheels and what I have to paint. I took the jugs to a local engine shop to have them honed and told them to call me when they were done. After a month I stopped by and they both looked at each other and said they forgot to call me and then they said we dropped it when we were honing it and broke a fin off. Then they had the nerve to charge me 15 dollars to hone it. I just paid and left before I said something I was going to regret. I took it to my welder and he said he could fix it but I plan on presenting the bill to the engine shop. Has to do a lot of modding to the seat to get it to the height I want. Still waiting for the jugs to come back. I plan on having the engine satin black with the edge of the fins alloy. The tank will either be black or the same color as the frame. As I do things I keep changing my mind.
1zfplok.jpg

2nb5ymw.jpg

10452kl.jpg

2unxzis.jpg

2m4bqx0.jpg

14c6s5y.jpg

fwsup0.jpg

Did you paint your cases or take it apart and have them powder coated? If you painted it what kind of paint did you use? I'm putting my engine back together and was going to paint my case and polish the side covers. Thanks....

Did you paint your cases or take it apart and have them powder coated? If you painted it what kind of paint did you use? I'm putting my engine back together and was going to paint my case and polish the side covers. Thanks....

Cases on the '82 and '83 Heritage Specials are factory black.

I have had very good luck with VHT barrel paint, I use it on all my engines when I paint them black. The cases are spray painted with it, I will do the same to the top end. The powder coat is John Deere yellow.

I actually bought one from mikes's as you can't powder coat with any filler on it. It's done and ready to go on when I get the electrics figured out.

It depends on the filler. Bondo no you can't podwer over that. Regular JB Weld works as a filler under powder. Be sure it's the regular, the Quick Set can't take the heat.

WOW! What fuel tank are you using there! Looks like it was made for the bike!
Now, seriously...looks good! With that color Jayel just might be tempted to take it for a spin.....

WOW! What fuel tank are you using there! Looks like it was made for the bike!
Now, seriously...looks good! With that color Jayel just might be tempted to take it for a spin.....

I was being a wise guy, it's aftermarket from Mikesxs according to the thread. Like I said, it looks good with the stock style tank.

Back