Bobber

DTree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of paint adheres to the engine case. I want to walnut shell blast the outside all nice and pretty. Then paint the top black like original scheme. Any thoughts?

I have found VHT Engine enamel to work best in all of my applications.
Key is in the prep work though!!
Make sure it's clean, then clean it again and when you can eat off it - clean it one more time. Nice easy coats (light)
VHT sprays really nice and easy to work with.

One major thing that has always helped and worked well for me was a heat gun. I heat whatever I am spraying for a while (until its warm-hot to the touch) then paint it.
When it's tacked off (15-20min depending on environment) I use the heat gun again on a lower setting and go over the paint to help cure it. This can take a while. Take your time and don't rush or you will boil/blister the paint.
You need to let it get quite warm all over. Then let it completely cool down then do the heat again.
This way you can handle it without worrying about messing up paint.
If you can't hear it and have lots of time then after its painted leave it for at least a week without touching it at all. My last engine u hung up where I spray, heated before painting. Painted it then let it hang about 10 days. Didn't even look at it let alone touch it.
Then it was fine to handle. A couple of heat up cool down cycles when the engine was installed and running and it's all good. For my headpipes I used same brand but flameproof. Calipers same (caliper paint)

Posted via Mobile

Back