Bottom end venture

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Any good tutorials here on bottom end inspection, seal replacement, what to look for?
jefft

I have since found a few examples of what I was looking for. Seen some good top end videos but not much in the way of a video showing the stripping of outer hardware and splitting of cases and internals. Carbon's videos I have found very helpful. Is it just me or do most people learn more from a video with someone explaining something as they go as opposed to looking at a picture.
jefft

a little bit of everything has helped me along the way. video, pics (mine and others), the service manual, clymer, haynes, boats.net and of course this site.

i'm right at the point of closing up the case on my rephased motor. just going through and making sure everything shifts correctly and the crank is sitting correctly. i'll probably close the case up tonight if i have time...

Seems like video is a good way to convey information but not used as much as it could be. I know of at least 3 vendors doing rephases. Maybe they have all the business they need, but I would think a video instructing on the teardown of an engine lower half would be beneficial not only to prospective customers but also to their own business by giving people more confidence in getting the crank to the vendor for rephrase. I have seen videos of rephased motors running on you tube but little on the info needed to get there. Most people are a little apprehensive about lower end work, especially the first time around.
jefft

i hear ya, and yeah, it's intimidating the first time you crack one of these motors open especially if you don't have a lot of mechanical background. however, these motors aren't too complicated and there is a lot of documentation and this site is a huge resource in case someone gets lost. bag n' tag and pics/video while breaking down the motor and the service manual are going to be some of your best tools.

good luck!

Yea I am trying to read as much as I can but a video would be helpful as someone disassembled all the shifting parts and split the cases as they verbally point out important details along the way. Carbon has been awesome at this with his helpful videos.
jefft

Back