Bought this for my wife today! (CS5E Restoration Project)

Patches

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I ran across this little 1972 Yamaha CS5E 200cc two stroke the other day on the interwebs and it was too cute to resist. I know it's not an XS, but it still has a lot of charm. It's the perfect candidate for a full restoration to it's original glory. The factory chrome and paint are near perfect. A couple small scratches here and there, but is almost a 40 year old bike. 2,300 miles on the odometer, and everything is functional. The only thing it is missing is the correct left side mirror (has a non matching unit). It runs great, but the carbs either need the float height adjusted or new float needles, or both because they overflow slightly when the petcock is left on while the bike is not running, no biggie.

My wife (just got married last week) has been wanting a little bike to cruise around on for a little while now. She is a huge K-State fan and we are season ticket holders. Every year they have bike day at the stadium and a lucky few can ride their scoot around the track before the game for the crowd to enjoy. This year I was going to enter with one of my rides, but I think I'm going to let her take this instead. The factory purple and white is just too perfect not to. Any way, here's a pic. I just snapped it real quick in the garage, and it's dark outside so the quality is not the best, but if others care to see more pics I can post some later. Thanks and enjoy.:thumbsup:
397768173.jpg

Thanks for the nice words guys. This is going to be a fun one. She's not getting home until Friday so I have a bit of time to get it cleaned up a little more.

Nice bike Patches! Congrats on the wedding. How's the "Rescue Operation Going?" Blue

Blue-
Thanks for asking!

It's going real good. Two back on the road, or soon to be back on the road in forms of bobbers once the new owners are done, and another full build that I am doing for a friend of a friend that is going to look amazing. I should post some pics eventually. Hopefully more to come. I am going to build one for myself and my buddy is going to build his at the same time.

Worthy of "Husband of the Year" trophy...

Ha! Let's not get crazy..... lol

How much $$$

Well, honestly I may have paid a little too much. I really have no idea. The guy wanted $1800 and I ended up paying $1500. It was just too perfect for her to pass up.

That's not a bad price at all for as clean as the bike is with the low miles it has. Congrats! You done good! I would like to see some pics of it during the daylight hours!
I'm sure your womerns will love it!

Worth more unrestored....just sayin.

Hell, I'd just ride it for now, save the resto until the wife's had a chance to "learn" on it, and then you can have a nice father/child experience!

Worth more unrestored....just sayin.

Hell, I'd just ride it for now, save the resto until the wife's had a chance to "learn" on it, and then you can have a nice father/child experience!

I agree. The only plans I really have for it are to get a correct NOS mirror, kick start rubber, fork dust boot and thoroughly clean and polish everything. I plan on leaving the all of the factory paint, chrome, etc. Other then fixing the small spot of light surface rust on the swing arm. It's in great shape. I'll try to get some pics of it out in the sun posted. I've just been cleaning up every little nook before she sees it. I'll eventually go through and disassemble some things for cleaning, but for now Im going to leave it alone. Too many other projects going on (two other XS builds).

I just hope she likes it and doesn't look at me "like WTF is this?"

Sweet, I've got her twin sister!!! They are a little harder to get parts for than the 650. I'll try to get a pic of mine. They are on the wife's computer!!

Sweet, I've got her twin sister!!! They are a little harder to get parts for than the 650. I'll try to get a pic of mine. They are on the wife's computer!!

It's funny, because that was the only color/trim package they made for that year (1972). Kinda a girly looking bike if you ask me, but she should love it. I read somewhere that yamaha was trying to market these bikes towards women and youth riders because of its size. You really can't tell in the pics but these bikes are pretty tiny. I rode it around the neighborhood the other night and at 6'2" I'm sure I looked like a gorilla on that thing. Cute bike though, and from what I have researched they seem to be rather reliable. I need to get a factory manual to make sure the autolube is adjusted properly, and she should be GTG.

I'm still looking for a RD350 to build into a cafe racer. I located a guy that has a couple but he says they are "rough". I plan on trying to get some serious HP out of it though. The motor may be making a visit to Fast By Gast for some work:thumbsup:
That is if I can actually find one:banghead:

BTW bike bandit.com is a good source for OEM parts for these bikes

Last edited:
I think you are right on the color. Mine is a little rougher, but still looks good. I had Dan's Cycle bore the cylinders. I put 1st over pistons and rings, new fork seals and boots (it had NO fork oil in it when I got it), new seat cover, shift levers, and some other small stuff. She is really fun to ride. They are really easy to rebuild the top end :). I've ridden her to work many times, and have received a LOT of compliments on her. My son in El Dorado is riding it back and forth to work right now.

Quick update:

She rode it, loved it, killed it twice, has already named it and is picking outfits to wear that match it.......

Back