Bow out.

tonyc

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I would like to thank the site for all of the knowledge and enjoyment that I have received from being a member over the years but, I must bow out. The site seems to be heading in the direction of choppers. This is not the direction that I choose to follow. It is not for me. I
know plenty of work and money goes into building these bikes. I am not bad-mouthing them because it takes a craftsman to produce quality. I have nothing but best wishes for the forum and its members. Thanks again for the ride. Tony C.

Wait Tony Don't go, there are plenty of us stocker, restomod, mild custom guys around I'd like you to stay!

Sorry to lose you Tony, you're one more voice of reason drowned out by the howling of the ignorant.

I avoided this site for some years exactly because it seemed to be dominated by Sawzall artists, but some new guys ask sensible questions, and hands like gggGary, 5twins, 2Many, Skull, scabber, and INXS keep things real, and that keeps me coming back.

Agreed, it takes a craftsman to produce quality; but in my biased, curmudgeonly view, guys don't produce quality when they destroy the handling qualities of a motorcycle. When image trumps function, you wind up with a fashion accessory to pose with, not a quality ride.

It's not just the chop jockeys that gripe me. Every time I see a cafe "racer" or street "tracker" with four figures of fiberglass, paint and graphics on the same machine as crummy OE shocks, bargain basement tires, unbraced forks with no fender, etc., I'm sorry, Phil Little, but the owner doesn't need to reach for that drool rag you used to tout in your ads, because I'll be turning away and using my own barf bag. Same thing when a shiny, authentic restoration job with tires flat as a board and hardened with age turns up at a rally--unsafe at any speed, as a guy who should have known better found out last spring when his shiny machine pitched him off the road at low speed on a moderate corner in Kentucky. All of these types pursue "the look" at the expense of the ride, and I don't have one bit of respect for that.

Sure you don't want to stick around and try to educate the children, Tony? Somebody has to at least try to bring 'em up right.

Tony C please reconsider, with 1400 plus posts there is no doubt you have helped make this forum what it is.
Choppers may appear to be dominating because the builders are more prolific posters than those who are running/building other style.

Last edited:
Yeah Tony, stay around, both of mine are stock bikes and this site is a wonderful source of information for the problems we come in contact with. plus we want your input too.

Hi tony,
and now it's 6 to 0 on the "Oh no don't go" list.
Even the most rabid sawzall wielder may need help to keep his rolling ruin's motor running, eh?

Tonnnnnnnnni.... Tonnnni. Come on.... Toni... Toni, I HATE riding and owning stock bikes and I LOVE choppers BUT I LOVE seeing a nice clean stock old bike too.

I ABHOHR (sp?) a modified muscle car and like muscle cars to have polyglass tires and factory wheels. It's just me, right?

Come on, stick around Toni. Enduring different tastes can be like having several mistresses! Me? I like long legged busty brunette's, long legged busty blondes, long legged busty redheads, SEE...???!!!

It's weird because I was just thinking the other day that I see lots of threads or comments here about 'sawzall a-holes' and how chopping a bike up is 'crazy', 'unsafe', 'dangerous', blah-blah-blah but I think it's all 'to each their own'. I like old guns and cheap whiskey and building stuff on my own. I'm not forcing it on others and as I do it (chop, ruin, change), I'll inevitabley learn stuff that can be passed on to you stocker-lover folks. Stick around young man. Oh, and maybe post some semi-nude photo's of hot long legged busty chicks!

I get it. I see a post and think I might help, then find it's chopped custom. That's OK, but I move on. I have little interest in a bike that doesn't go. I resisted this site as well. Here is where everybody is.

I was once a sawzall ahole, but that was a basket case for $50. The next xs650 I baught sat in a shed for twenty years, untouched original 1971 with only 3600 miles. I'm sure most have seen it. Only paid 3k. Wouldn't change a thing.
It's guys like you that make this site what it is, and guys like me in turn. Sorry to see you go

You're a good poster and contributor to the board. Bikes function on more than aesthetics alone. The real beauty to me lies in a good functioning engine. Sure suspension and travel are key components, but none of that matters if the spark doesn't ignite.

My point being I don't really understand the point of view where one can deduct there is nothing to contribute because they don't agree with a persons riding preference. Furthermore considering there are still plenty of posters and new comers not interested in chopping at all.

This is a fantastic forum, I say that in complete sincerity. I have the time clocked on here to prove it. But to be honest, some of you guys need to get over what you consider acceptable or not.

There is literally a wealth of knowledge here, it can be shared in many facets, not just the type that suits you're likeness. I hope you stick around.

Figure8, some of us have a low tolerance for idiocy and will call a fool a fool, some will shrug and ignore the nonsense, and some, like gggGary, will treat a fool as if he had sense and hope that he develops some (I admire that, but I just don't have it in me). If you find any of those personal styles unacceptable, you need to get over it.

Re."riding preferences," those who have them treat their machines as things to ride. Those who have fashion preferences treat their machines as fashion accessories to pose with, and to hell with the ride. Don't feel picked on, chopjockeys, I have plenty of abuse for everybody--as noted above, some resto freaks are as bad as the Sawzall pilots when it comes to rideability vs. image.

Stick around Tony. Yours is a bike I always like seeing in your avitar or pics. I don't like choppers and brats either, but also can appreciate the work and time spent on a real quality one. I try to just go past those posts/builds or keep my comment of a constructive/safety related post. I am one of those tracker guys grizz doesn't like. I did sell my tracker for several reasons, one was the rideablity as griz states, was not gonna be there for me. In my defense it was NOT going to be a body only look. Anyway, Tony, any advice/post I have ever seen of yours has been of a helpfull nature, as I hope mine have allways came across as. Stick around, I am {sorry griz!} and don't even own a XS any longer.

Last edited:
I have my own tastes in what a bike should look like. What some one does to a bikes looks is their thing. If they want help on getting it to run well, have electrical or brake related issues, I will help.
I think a safe, well running bike is the important thing.
Leo

Griz, that's all fine and well. The truth is this site was made for all xs650's alike. Yes, you are a tell it like it is poster. I have no personal issue with you or any other poster here.

My real point is this, websites are created in hopes of generating traffic. You may not like what another person does, but far to many people have been driven away from this site from the "voice of reason". You nor I nor is in a position to set the tone of this website. I'm on here daily and I want the website to do well, the more the better.

Back