Brake Lines

bswinn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you buy your brake lines? I apparently need custom length brake lines for project. I've shopped online for nearly 2 weeks and it seems I'm going to have to drop $120 total on 2 braided SS lines!!! WTF!?!?! Seriously? That seems over the top expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions/sites/locations to buy them any cheaper than this?

Where do you buy your brake lines? I apparently need custom length brake lines for project. I've shopped online for nearly 2 weeks and it seems I'm going to have to drop $120 total on 2 braided SS lines!!! WTF!?!?! Seriously? That seems over the top expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions/sites/locations to buy them any cheaper than this?

Head over to your local motorcycle shop and ask for the "Parts Unlimited" book. You can build your own lines by ordering the parts from Magnum. It won't be cheap, but it will probably be cheaper than 120.

Well if you don't mind them not exactly the length you want, Mike's lines work well. The clear cover rots off after a few years but I covered mine with heat shrink tubing to protect it from the sun.
Leo

The problem is that I have Mikes Lines. They are only 24.5" long or 41" long. So they are either way too short or way too long. I need something like 30"

EBay. there is a ton of custom order stainless line guys. I think mine cost 32$ for a 34'' line

Mike's has them in 17 and 20 inches to. Are you wanting a single line or will you use a connector block like stock? 17 and 17 will be 34 inches.
Leo

Slingshot-cycles.com

Been using the for a few years on more than a dozen projects. I once thought there was an issue with the lines, I sent them back so they could test 'em, but it turned out to be a bad copper washer I installed.

Posted via Mobile

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I've been looking into all of them. I'm always continually surprised when looking into something as simple as brake lines how much of an education you can give yourself. All about the different specs and fittings and the like.

All I can say at this point is that they certainly don't give these things away when you start getting into the 30" range. Seems the cheapest I can find ranges in the $65-$85 range for two lines and that's mostly the build your own type.

The cheaper ones I find on ebay all seem to be unshielded (read "paint shavers") and they don't have anything but straight ends on them which means I would have to buy banjo fittings too which increases the price. Never thought that brake lines would be a tripping point for me at the beginning of this build.

I ordered mine from Russel including the fittings. Stainless braided, and the fittings come banjo, straight, 90 degree, and 35 degree to adapt to any mount you need. Lines are automotive preterminated with -3 swivels, in just about any length you need, from 9" up to 53".

I just looked it up and I got mine from gtautosports on eBay. 25$, you choose your fittings (plenty of options) , length, and your banjo bolt size

I got a 35''

Slingshot-cycles.com

Been using the for a few years on more than a dozen projects. I once thought there was an issue with the lines, I sent them back so they could test 'em, but it turned out to be a bad copper washer I installed.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks Junkshow for the mention.
I recently added a 77-84 XS hose that is 1 pc and goes from master to the caliper on the right side. You can choose different lengths and colors as needed.
1 pc XS650 DOT SS braided hose

Back