Recommendation requested: SS braided brake line for '80G

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Gents,

I am looking for a recommendation for a source for a good quality braided SS single brake line for my '80G ("Jimi"). I bought two from Mike's in 2/17 and installed them on my '83 and '81, but I'm unimpressed with the quality.

I have Euro bars on the bike.

Looks like about 32" would be a neat fit, yes?

I prefer dealing through EBay or Amazon.

Altho I know the advantages of a single, SS line, I would also consider the classic, 2 piece lines, as I like the OEM look. In that case, what length for the upper?

Thanks ahead of time!

brake 004.JPG

brake 003.JPG

Are online suppliers really that much cheaper? Have you called around locally, to see if somebody could make you one, and how much? That way, you'd know exactly what materials went into its construction, and have face-to-face customer service, in case you had a problem... :twocents:

Are online suppliers really that much cheaper? Have you called around locally, to see if somebody could make you one, and how much? That way, you'd know exactly what materials went into its construction, and have face-to-face customer service, in case you had a problem... :twocents:
Hmmmm, good idea. I have, in fact, dealt in the past with a hydraulics outfit off of Carrier circle which made me a hose..........I'll look them up.

yes, it was Ace Hydraulics on E. Molloy rd

Yes, they are that much cheaper. I just put one on my '83 along with a 1/2" MC. The line cost me a whopping $4.74, but I see the price has gone down 15 cents, lol .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-120mm-M...var=640991001941&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I got the Grey #1 line, 90cm long. I have Euro bars as well. I installed it mated with all used components (MC, caliper, banjo bolts, banjo bolt sealing washers). I expected a few minor leaks I'd need to fuss with but there were none. It installed leak-free first time around. I'm pretty impressed so far for less than $5, lol.

Yes, they are that much cheaper. I just put one on my '83 along with a 1/2" MC. The line cost me a whopping $4.74, but I see the price has gone down 15 cents, lol .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-120mm-Motorcycle-ATV-Pit-Bike-Braided-Steel-Brake-Clutch-Oil-Hoses-Line-Pipe/372110432418?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=640991001941&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I got the Grey #1 line, 90cm long. I have Euro bars as well. I installed it mated with all used components (MC, caliper, banjo bolts, banjo bolt sealing washers). I expected a few minor leaks I'd need to fuss with but there were none. It installed leak-free first time around. I'm pretty impressed so far for less than $5, lol.
Zackley what I'm looking for !
Thanks, 5T.

A closer look at the caliper end. This line has an angled fitting on one end, straight on the other. You need the angled end down on the caliper to clear the bleed nipple. Straight end works fine on top .....

Df6kM3B.jpg

I’ve had really good experiences with Apex Brakes. You can order any kind of length, fitting ends, and a couple of color choices. They will custom make and ship within a few days. I got some replacement lines for my ‘75 and am very happy. I wanted to replicate the 2pc line like factory but in a ss braid with black sheathing to look stock. Turned out very nice.

Well I'm running a cheap one on the front and a HEL on the rear. I'd call the quality about even. I have a few buddies who've had them on their bikes for several yrs now without a failure, so I guess dollars isn't always an indicator of quality.
Seldom on a brake line do you get a catastrophic failure. Usually they start leaking and let you know they're about done.
I'm converting the front to dual disc that'll need 3 lines. They're on their way from China.
So sez my five dollar brain... :rolleyes:

Seldom on a brake line do you get a catastrophic failure. Usually they start leaking and let you know they're about done.
I was about to say the same thing, based on my history with both bikes and cars.
And when I raced karts, we all fabricated our own brake lines, altho from different materials (nylon tubing and brass fittings). The only failures I knew of were from leaks, and they became evident during testing in the pits.

Last edited:
and they showed up during testing in the pits.
And speaking of testing, anytime I walk by my bike I'll grab the front brake lever with both hands and jerk it into the grip several times (hundreds of times now). If it's gonna fail, that ought to do it.

Put me in the banggood cheap lines camp. At least 10 installed so far prolly more but what kind of memory do you expect from a $5 mind? While I have not been as rigorous as Jim I have done some pretty serious clamping down on them.
PS nearly ANYTHING is better than 40 year old rubber brake lines...............

Anyone know how they actually measure these lines? I would guess that the length is determined center of banjo hole to center of banjo hole. I just always wondered how this is actually done, and have never seen it actually explained in any descriptions. I've only ever bought one line from BangGood, it fit very nice.

Scott

Back