Breaking In an Engine?

looking great :thumbsup:
Any chance of a close up of the clip-ons ? what diameter are the clamps and how do you fit them . Thinking of going the cafe route myself

Hi dudes and dudeses
BOOOOOOOOOM :thumbsup:HERE IT IS
ITS ALIVE ....... ALIVE ..... JYMI 2 WHISKEY LIVES AGAIN:D:D:D
Running in oil put in check level :D fresh fuel put in:thumbsup: Battery fully charged :D Pet cock to prime :eek:Ignition on :eek:Run switch on:yikes: Press the starter button its trying to start :wtf: more air opened throttle a little VEROOOOOOOM :bike:Idle speed adjusted ticking over IT started :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: count to ten swith off ...then danced a we irish jig :laugh: heat cycled with total cool down between re starts up to 50 seconds running...:) adding ten seconds per cycle.... I am stoked as you guys would say.... tomorrow check the timing tyre pressures all nuts and bolts torques and go for a ride short ride 1 mile at a time colling inbetween miles doubling up after each coll down to about 6 miles check mixture ....then if alls well clock up a hundred miles for the first oil and filter change :D
IMAG1453_zpsphqyhjdd.jpg

IMAG1455_zps7uxqkdkb.jpg

IMAG1456_zpsl5ki44tg.jpg

Well Happy Hopfully all will continue to go well ...All the best Funky:thumbsup:

it looks fantastic ! the red tank ...the cafe seat....the clipons...it just looks so 60's cafe racer ,hope we get to see a video of you riding it sometime. :thumbsup:

oh and we want more pictures

Hi peanut thanks for the kindness ....If yout refering the the handel bars there not clip ons there clubman handle bars ... will post more pic soon

ah clubman :thumbsup: couldn't quite make it out in the images . Clubman sounds like a much easier fitment than clip-ons

Hi funky,
looks great. Not for us old fat men who don't easily bend far enough to grip clubmans, but great.
What I'd do besides using bars better suited to my elderly ergonomics would be to drill the brake disks full of holes, that really does make them work better.
And then I'd lose the rubber fork gaiters.
Sure they look nice but they were designed to hide the external fork springs on Britbikes.
What they do on an XS650s internal spring fork is act as a moisture trap so the fork tubes rust out and eat the fork seals to let the fork oil out to lubricate the front brake pads and all the disk holes in the world won't help the brakes after that happens.

And then I'd lose the rubber fork gaiters.

What they do on an XS650s internal spring fork is act as a moisture trap s.

:laugh::laugh: condensation is terrible here but at the moment the least of our problems in the UK Fred .
At the moment we are worrying about our houses being swept away with the torrential rain :D

Seriously though... gaiters are one of the key aesthetics of the 60's Cafe look you gotta have gaiters on a retro cafe:wink2:

:thumbsup:lol the gaiters are staying under those gaiters is some graphite grease smeaared librally over the tubes thanks for the sound advise but peanut on the button ..:thumbsup: as we say here horses for courses

IMAG1459_zps63sibqj8.jpg
Ok update time :)took the bike for a small ride today kept it under 3000 rpm was going fine thought i check the timming it was slightly advance so got it hovering over the "f" mark attempted to start the bike ... no Joy checked plugs one was perfect left side right side was a little sooty so half a turm on mixture to weaken :thumbsup: plugs cleaned tried again no start gave the mixture a quater turn richer ...:thumbsup: boom started gradually increased throtle to 2500 spluter spit back fire ...... dont know what to do .... I have done about 23 miles around the block the last five miles the bike did cut out and lacked power up hills near the end of a three mile run. .. Kept my mind on tempriture and never let the engine get too hot this worries me lots as its a 707 cc . I feel the carbs are not set up right but also I am thinking of returning the timing back to where it was but this seems to be off the mark forward of it ...but it did do about 2/3 of the 23.miles like that .... HELP any advise ..... all the best chaps...

Last edited:
it looks f*&5$£g gorgeous Funky. :thumbsup: good to hear you finally got to ride it :bike:

If the spit back is only on one cylinder then the issue is not a general timing one but an issue with something associated with that particualr cylinder.:wink2:
ie Float height excess fuel , oil leak, air leak, leaking valves,Pilot circuit, spark etc

I would start by checking and adjusting the valve clearance. Don't forget that you adjust the cylinder thats at TDC on its compression stoke then turn the engine over to TDC before adjusting the other side on its compression stroke

The problem could be with the points and the advance . The cam timing is easy enough to get spot on but its worth rechecking. It is a stock ignition isn't it ?

The long term solution of course is to fit a Boyer Bransden Micro Digital ignition system and then you can forget it. The ignition timing will then always be absolutely spot on :thumbsup:

You will need to read your plugs now as they should tell you exactly what is going on in your engine. Clean them thoroughly or better still fit some new plugs. take it for a spin for about 10 miles and pull the plugs. Make sure you keep them seperate left and right so you can compare cylinder differences.

cam chain tension spot on valves spot on pamco high voltage system fitted new ATU ...its carb goto be ....sorry peanut should of made it clear ther engine has just been rebuilt by Smed Speed in london cost me 2k .....

good news ...Howard's the best.:thumbsup:

Guess that just leaves the weak link :wink2::laugh:

Ok... so you have the late PAMCO which incorporates electronic advance
In that case if you think its the carb I don't understand why you are altering the timing /PAMCO advance setting ? If Howard built the complete engine he will have timed the cam chain correctly so you should just set the PAMCO at presumably full advance at TDC and clamp it like the Boyer system?
As far as I know the PAMCO should be set with the engine static and thats it! you shouldn't need to touch it again ever. Timing lights are notoriously irratic and need to be used at specific engine speeds it might not tell you anything useful

Try running the engine with the air filters disconnected so that you can see what the diaphrams are doing. Are they in sync ? is there any excesss fuel pouring out of one of the carb venturi ?

You might find this useful
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?199096-Adjusting-the-Idle-Mixture-on-CV-Carbs

Last edited:
Peanut I have a horrible confession:( I was so indulged in heat control worried that i had done the carbs right heat cycles noises slight oil leak fron inpection port for the right exhaust port and all the other stuff going on in my head about the bike.... I forgot one important thing:doh::banghead::doh::banghead: im Imbaressed to say I put 2 litres of fuel in to run the heat cycles up to 1 minute then was so eager to ride it and do all the stuff i mention in my Running in your engine bit that i paniced when i spluttered and stalled and run lumpy ..and did not check the obvious:doh: i had run out of fuel:banghead: please laugh your Nuts off every one i am a dick but hey she running sweet now:bike: and has a full tank of JUICE :thumbsup:
I spoke to Howard today and he said that it would be fine to give it a little more take it to about 4000rpm changing gear but not to sit there in fith for too long changing dow using engine breaking this helpd to seat the rings and stop clazing on the pots...Good ol H
please post your deserved slagging offs all members welcome specially 5Twins, Twomany, :laugh::laugh: as i deserve it:doh::wtf::shrug::confused::banghead: Lesson learnt ....:bike::bike:

Last edited:
can't larf Funky as I've done worse :doh:

Just glad its finally working.
'Sometimes when you're trying to identify a problem its easy for us all to overlook the obvious :laugh:

It's okay. When I rebuilt my carbs, when I was done I checked the diagrams , plugged the oval port, pushed up the Pistons, they both fell like a rock. Spent two days trying to figure it out. I had the choke on.

I might start a thread .. and call it :thumbsup:Who Dares ....OPPPS:doh: and we have to post our most embarsing mechanical moments on there. so forum member can point there finger at us and say :wtf:and then we can vote for the the best one :laugh:and award a virtual medal called the the wonky sprocket award to that person,
I remember many years ago i was working as a fitter in a Renult Citroen garage and helped the boss Graham take an Engine and gear box out of a Renult 5:thumbsup: we got the Egine and box out and placed it on the work bench:wink2: and then had to move the rolling remains of the car to the scrapping are. I was very eager a week into the new job and as we tried to push the car it would not move:) Graham said make sure its in nutral so i went into the vehicle to wiggled the gear stick and they all laughed because i had just helped take the engine out :laugh::laugh::doh:
All the best

67 Mile on the clock only issues are the mixture still too rich going to go a little leaner as my last adjustment did make a differance 33 miles to go before new oil and filter and re torque

Everyone does something dumb sometimes. I was just trying to get the carbs dialed in and brought it to a buddy's place for a second set of eyes. I ride it. See? It is idling too high, maybe lean. He rides it, Yeah Pat it is idling high. We hook it up to the vacuum gauges and low and behold, one of the chokes was on. Dammit. Running great now!

I feel better now I suppose its easly done secret is not to panic like i did lol Thanks for the reply ,
All the best Funky

Back