British Columbia xs650 build

Great progress!!! Love the look of the build...

Unfortunately, I have done nothing with my build so far...How do you like the TC Bros engine stand? I was thinking of ordering one for myself...

Summer is coming - gotta get going - let me know if you want somethings done :thumbsup:

Stand is good -motor has been in an out of it. Casters on a wood base is a good add - would spend the extra 3 bucks and get locking casters next time :doh:

Thanks for the props btw :)

Killer buid man.

I often peruse this forum at work on lunch break but they have photobucket blocked so I always skipped past this thread but made a mental note to check it out at home sometime. The write up sounded good but couldn't see pics.

All I have to say is, was not disappointed! This build delivers. I have a build going too and we have a couple similar ideas but I think I learned a thing or two reading this thread. Thanks

If you are interested, this is what i'm working on
flying crowbar

weird they block photobucket...could maybe see pics on your phone...?

anyway...thanks for taking the time to look at home. Glad you liked and thanks for the props. Did look at your build - very cool !!!
Like the pipes for sure :thumbsup: What headlight is that...? And I asked you on your thread about what your thoughts on colors was..

Well done so far !

whew.....pma in, pamco in, starter relay mounted, headlight in, tail in.

Ignition switch and coil in can,

........along with low profile fuses - 2 7.5 amps between ig switch and coil, and between coil and pamco - 2 10 amps between ig switch and headlight and tail light

*2 inline 20's between pma and voltage reg, and between voltage reg and batt

kill switch behind tank

lots of pics here;

I took 3 pics very much like the 3 below so I could post them with a few questions I had - Pete personally answered and also pointed out I had left the spark plug out of the hole when I was installing the advance directly above - good call :thumbsup:
I took the below pics after slightly changing the crank position.......but made sure I had the spark plugs in their holes :D

anyway - pamco ignition / advance and pma

photo1_zpsbd26c4ac.jpg

photo1_zpsbd26c4ac.jpg.html

photo3_zps2dead43f.jpg

photo2_zps6f1177af.jpg

you can see the grommeted hole below where pma wires will go in, and to batt and ground will go out

-bobber-bare-bones-wiring-starterrelay_zps925b7154.jpg

batt ground directly to starter motor mount point...

-bobber-bare-bones-wiring-ground-strap_zpsc42a897a.jpg

obber-bare-bones-wiring-ground-strap-2_zps1549b1ab.jpg

1981-xs650-bobber-wiring-voltgage-regulator-mount_zps6a2ca87d.jpg

er-voltgage-regulator-mount-and-wiring_zpsf46208bf.jpg

obber-custom-bare-bones-wiring-project_zpsb13f2df6.jpg

1981-xs650-bobber-custom-kill-switch_zpsaf84a117.jpg

tom-bare-bones-wiring-project-tailight_zps2f859162.jpg

few more fender...and metal paint wip..

photo10_zps1739f909.jpg

photo11_zpsf33a0b7c.jpg

photo12_zpscd5a53ae.jpg

photo13_zps24ec6d80.jpg

so the rustoleum chrome paint comes out amazing - until I clear it. Then it dulls quite a bit...prob be ok with it, but the tremclad gloss clear I got to test 'clears' also crazes the crap out of it...lots of lifting. (below pic has not been cleared yet)....
Cheaper rona brand clear does not seem to lift it.
End result is that if I did go with paint on the frame I would defo need to clear, but it would be a 2 part 2k clear......just have not been super keen on activating a $20 can of clear to test the chrome paint yet. Do think that paint will be a no go though.

be curious to hear how your efforts come along as I think we are both looking for the same look. I will test clear powder soon....maybe since today is Mothers Day..... it is a good day to go do that :laugh:

lemme know if you need more fender mount pics - the fender itself is a chopped HD rear fender - way chopped as a matter of fact -think only 35% of it remains

photo1_zps9ac6769e.jpg

That's a cool mount for sure. I like it. Thanks for posting.
I cleared my frame and oil bag today with 2k. Turned out alright. I'll post some pics later on maybe tomorrow. Gonna wait for the paint to cure before I move the frame. It's crammed in my garage with a buch of stuff. Too imbarrassed to take pics in there. Btw, one can does 1 coat. In my application anyway.

Here's some crappy pics. Hard to capture the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 162
Oh ya. As good as its gonna get. I didn't superclean the frame or anything. It still has some natural patina that gives it character. I figure the metal may turn a bit in color over time so i wasn't worried about getting it perfect. Almost have it back together for a test run.:bike::bike:

nice...I am still working on final finish for mine. Going after kind of a nickel look....and not brushed but like a medium polish. Paint is just not going to cut it, so looking at powder options.
1 local guy i found seems way cool and quality would be great, (he is currently doing a few hundred hand rests for a ride at Disneyland)....Tad pricy though and not quite what I have in my head with the colors he has in inventory.

Other guy has quality and the right color, and more resonabley priced....but he is in Washington and so I can add $40 to it after current Canadian to US dollar conversion....and a 4 hour round trip - twice !

Other local guy I am checking out looks like he may be right there with color, cost, and quality....but I went to see him at his shop that opened at 9am.....at 10:15am, and they were not open....concerning :shrug:

PS - just realized those fender pics are all oriented screwy....sorry :doh:

Enjoy long weekend !

master cylinder is from an 89 gxr. 14mm where orig was 13mm....it will be fine. Ground ball off lever and polished. Not bled yet as I have no fluid in 'reservoir'.

not sure on color combo - think I will go to raw metal on master and throttle -clutch perch too - then even raw metal on bars........................maybe :shrug:

n-Tygon-2375-Tubing-brake-xs650-bobber_zps9f1e376e.jpg

Tygon-2375-Tubing-brake-xs650-hardtail_zps18be3902.jpg

It has been a while since we've seen an update. I really enjoyed watching this build in pictures...particularly the rear fender and mount.

Is it done? any final pics?

Thanks for asking.......it is super super close. Now I just need to reassemble, and I will start posting final assembly pics in the next few days.

A side project I have been working on that has taken some attention is a new TrueNorthMetal.com store. Should be live in about a week.

I have some very cool retro grips for 7/8 bar setups that I think are going to be cool........ you can let me know what you think of the store when it is up.

Take care !

Back