British Columbia xs650 build

Modified stock brake stay...........

I bought some heim joints and have some tubing....had it all ready to go and gave one last thought to shortening and modifying the stock stay.

I cut the ends off...cleaned up the always impressive Yamaha welds :doh:.......plugged and welded DOM tubing on one end....tapped the other end of the DOM as well as the straighter of the 2 stock ends..........instant adjustable brake stay. Thing is stout too !

Guess I want the drum angle to be where I want it, not where it happens to end up when the chain is tight...then loosens up...then I tighten it........and repeat 5 or 6 times.

All the sudden the brake lever is at 4 oclock :yikes:

want mine at 9 oclock

will finish tomarrow and post if it looks ok

650-bobber-modified-stock-brake-stay-5_zps34bcb315.jpg

650-bobber-modified-stock-brake-stay-4_zpsc7c5dd14.jpg

Super nice bike you are building. Like the lines everything flows together. Great fabrication skills and attention to detail. Pictures keep them coming. :thumbsup:

I like that adjustable brake stay. Can't think of any suitable turnbuckles from other machines that would work there, but yours will be more solid. Being able to maintain geometries and brake action is a definite plus...

It looks like the brake stay is adjustable? Why?

It is....certainly it wont save the world...but does give me the ability to ensure that all my leverages can remain consistent even with some enthusiastic increase or decrease in wheel base for chain reasons.

But again - xs's been fine without it

carbs bench sincd and done...all orig parts (except the hardware) - and powder coated in some cases

-truenorthmetal-Mikunis-powdercoated-3_zps4894c97b.jpg

-truenorthmetal-Mikunis-powdercoated-1_zps459879f5.jpg

50-truenorthmetal-Mikunis-powdercoated_zps1a5dc991.jpg

PS - Anyone from Bay Area California...? Mikuni's Sushi is the best on the planet.......guaranteed !!!!!

Last edited:
I went with a different coil so i could change the plug wires.......so different look to the mount in the elect can. I can show that later. Got the front cover with the vents bolted to the can..........that was not fun.

Back with "exhaust" vents boltable tomarrow.

Hope to get elect can, headlight mount, starter relay (which will be behind motor), lic plate/tail light..............and maybe PMA done this weekend.

PMA most likely roll into next week.

1981-xs650-hardtail-oil-tank-mikunis_zps6b43c1ae.jpg

81-xs650-bobber-custom-electrical-tank_zps6a6a897a.jpg

1981-xs650-hardtail-mikuni-1_zps8bf8aa45.jpg

HAPPY EASTER :smoke:

inside electrical - oil tank

1981-xs650-bobber-electronics-tank_zpsc1dcc04b.jpg

Coil with hangers attached
1981-xs650-bobber-electronics-tank-2_zpseafc7d87.jpg

coil installed from back
1981-xs650-bobber-electronics-tank-3_zps6348e5fc.jpg

from back with ig switch installed behind coil
1981-xs650-hardtail-electronics-tank-1_zps06e5ae37.jpg

from front
1981-xs650-hardtail-electronics-tank-2_zps3c941559.jpg

vented covers installed
1981-xs650-hardtail-electronics-tank-3_zpsbdbd4c02.jpg

wires to bike - i have a few options - not sure yet but easy to execute any of the ideas i have........

weird - the fly wheel puller I had was the wrong one - bummer since I was going to do the whole PMA Points install today - so ordered a new puller and took the bike apart so I can start prepping parts.

Battery cradle is almost finished up - if I am allowed to work on it a bit tomarrow and should have pics of it finished tomarrow night.

Parts101_zpse01ddafa.jpg

Back