Broken spoke question

xsgeoff

XS650 Greenhorn
Reaction score
So I just got my bike the other weekend and have been tearing into it. Today I came across the fact that my rear wheel has a broken spoke (broke off the little end "nub" that holds it in the hub). Didn't see it before, because the PO had a 16" wheel on it when I test drove it and said I could have the 18" wheel instead, or both for an extra 150 euros. I opted to just take the 18", but I never thought to check it when I picked it up.:banghead:

I digress,
Otherwise the wheel seems to be in great shape, only one other spoke (right beside the broken one) is in need of tightening.
My question is, since I don't know anything about the history of the wheel, is it safe to just replace that spoke and carry on? Or could there be some other hidden consequence that I should be wary of?

You can just replace that one spoke. If it's an outer, it will be easy, if it's an inner, other spokes around it may need to be removed to get it in.

Couple things, but way out there:

1- Check the opposite side for unusual runout or signs of impact.
2- Check other spokes, at the head bend, for signs of rebending and/or cracking.
There's been reports of improperly bent spoke heads that either get rebent for lacing or just get laced-up anyway...

Honestly, I've yet to encounter one of these 30+ year old wheels that doesn't need new spokes. They were only cad plated to begin with so by now have turned a dark gray or are rusting. If you polish them up a little, you just get dark gray spokes that shine. If you polish a lot, to the point where they are bright silver again, you've rubbed the cad plating off (which is very thin) and they rust up in short order.

Then you might as well get a wider rim.... and in short order your wallet will be a gasping shell of it's former self.
Even an outer is tough because you have to bend it to get it in the rim. But yeah one spoke missing isn't horrible but it WILL constantly nag on you.

The problem is, broken spokes are like dominoes. One broken spoke puts more stress on the rest and others can start breaking. Best to replace it as soon as possible.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Anyone know where to buy a single (or a handful) of spokes individually? I can only find full sets for like 80 euros, when I only need the one (maybe an extra 3-4 for spares)...

Cheers, mate!

Off topic, but I'll be up in your city over the Easter weekend with some friends. Any recommendations for attractions/bars/clubs?

Oh yes! For motorbikes and good times you should stop by Motorious or wrenchmonkeys. Nice guys! Or Else Vesterbro and Nørrebro have good bars and clubs.

On that website, they sell "inner" and "outer" spokes. I assume "inner" means the spoke is threaded through the hub from the outside to the inside, and vice versa for "outer"?

Here's my rim, can someone confirm that it is indeed the OEM 447 rear rim? (It is 18", I know that much).
wn03feA.jpg

And here is the broken spoke (holding it with my two fingers, broken at the head which holds it in the hub.
vVLqa63.jpg

Looks like an XS650 wheel to me. The spoke you are holding is an inner spoke.
too change it you will need to remove the spoke nipples on at least the two spokes on the other side. The ones under your thumb.
The spoke you need to change goes through the hub from out side to inside. That will slide it out between the spokes on the other side. With the nipples unthreaded from the spokes you can move them out of the way so you can get the new spoke lined up with the hole in the rim.
Once the new one is installed put the nipples back on the two you removed.
Leo

Yes, that looks like a stock rim and hub. Yes, you are correct about the "inner" and "outer" designation. It appears you have a broken "inner". As I mentioned earlier, that may be difficult to replace without removing a bunch of other spokes as well. At the very least, that inner on the opposite flange that your thumb is resting on will be in the way. It will need to be disconnected as well and swung out of the way.

Back