Broken Transmission Dog Repair (mystery metal chunk in sump)

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Found the below metal chunk stuck to the rear drain plug magnet of a friend's 1980 XS650. Can anyone I.D. it? Bike seems to run and operate fine. Chunk is a little less than an inch long.
DSC02220.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02219.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

I'll bet 2M knows for sure but my best guess is part of a tranny gear. 2M can probably tell us exactly which one.

Looks to me like a shift dog off a trans gear. Damn lucky it didn't get caught between a couple gears and trash the whole transmission.

Case splitting time IMO.

Yep. Thats a dog from a sliding gear.

Found the below metal chunk stuck to the rear drain plug magnet of a friend's 1980 XS650. Can anyone I.D. it? Bike seems to run and operate fine. Chunk is a little less than an inch long.
View attachment 115214

View attachment 115215

View attachment 115216

View attachment 115217

View attachment 115218

Check http://smedspeed.co.uk/tech.html - scroll down to the description of high performance gearbox modifications - many pic's included; at least one shows where that bit you found likely came from. I didn't take time to read the whole article again, but (if memory serves) it contains info on stronger Yamaha parts that swap right in - something to consider if you're going to be splitting the cases anyway.

Thanks for all of the responses, and thanks to aldo5468 for the excellent link.
How stupid do you think it would be to just continue using this engine? As Downeaster implied, when the next dog goes it could trash the whole transmission, but on the other hand, I have plenty of spare transmissions, and the labor replacing one gear should be about the same as replacing the whole tranny?

8:00a - 10:30a: get engine out of bike and lay it upside down in living room

10:30a - 12:00p: start removing bottom cover

12:00p - 1:00p: lunch

1:00p: - 2:00p: finish removing bottom cover

2:00p - 2:30p: plop in new transmission

2:30p - 3:00p: reinstall bottom cover

3:00p - 4:30p: reconnect engine to bike

4:30p - 5:00p: test ride

.. well... everything but the live'n room floor.... wives.. girlfriends.... don't have a sense of humor on some subjects...
order the replacement seals.. good case sealant.... it is a looong day job..... ck the sealant for cure time prior to hit'n the road. Would this be the time to do the 5th gear upgrade..?... Since I'm the dimmest Christmas tree blub.. I use a large piece of clean paper.. and place each nut bolt in order of removal... use a manual.. if I recall.. there is one that's behind the sprocket ..?... The gear cluster simply lifts out.. replacement slips in... while bottom cast is off.. now is a excellent time to flush and clean.
Ride'n the bike as is... something will happen and you could possibly grenade the engine beyond repairs.. or cause the engine to lock up at speed with result'n consequences ...

ck the sealant for cure time prior to hit'n the road.
Good point. I used Permatex Motoseal 1. Doesn't have the problems ppl say Yamahondabond has. I think it is the same stuff but thinned. I let it dry overnight personally, but a thin layer would probably be pretty dry in a couple of hours.

8:00a - 10:30a: get engine out of bike and lay it upside down in living room

10:30a - 12:00p: start removing bottom cover

12:00p - 1:00p: lunch

1:00p: - 2:00p: finish removing bottom cover

2:00p - 2:30p: plop in new transmission

2:30p - 3:00p: reinstall bottom cover

3:00p - 4:30p: reconnect engine to bike

4:30p - 5:00p: test ride
I didn't think you could replace the tranny (or just the bad gear) without splitting the cases. Am I wrong?
Gave the bike's owner the bad news. The article that aldo5468 linked to said that broken dogs result from engine braking. The owner admitted to accidentally doing the occasional extreme, wheel-locking, first gear engine brake due to a non-working neutral light.

I didn't think you could replace the tranny (or just the bad gear) without splitting the cases.
I'm sure you could, using ship in a bottle techniques. Bottom case I was calling bottom cover. Would be a good opportunity to fix the neutral light too, if it's a bad sender.

Thanks, and yeah, I was wondering what the heck the bottom cover is. The neutral light was just a bad bulb -- the neutral switch is totally on the outside of the engine, a 5-minute fix. It grounds out on a nub on the transmission, completing the circuit.
Any concurring opinions on replacing transmission by only removing the right-side crankcase cover?

The crankcase needs to be split. You can't get in there through just the right side cover.

Thank you TwoMany. Among my acquisitions are at least a couple of split-case motors from previous owners who realized that they were in over their heads. So, I already have a few ready-to-go trannys to choose from.

Thanks for all of the responses, and thanks to aldo5468 for the excellent link.
How stupid do you think it would be to just continue using this engine? As Downeaster implied, when the next dog goes it could trash the whole transmission, but on the other hand, I have plenty of spare transmissions, and the labor replacing one gear should be about the same as replacing the whole tranny?
Hey Dogbunny! Say HI to Mr. Stupid. I don't know how many years ago I drained a 5th gear dog out with my oil. It looked just like yours. One of my buddies gave me a transmission. I bet it's been over 10 years. Maybe 15! I even took a week long trip on it. Still going. One of these days, I'll get around to replacing the transmission.

Hi JetMech:
Well, that's an encouraging story, and one unexpected coming from you, who I regard as being generally meticulous and a proponent of doing things right.
You list several XS650s in your signature. I am assuming the bike with the broken dog is not your primary XS650, but is instead an occasional rider. Still, 10-15 years with a missing dog is impressive. What's your best guess as to how many miles are on the engine since the dog broke?

Back