Bs38 small air filters?

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need to find some real small air filters for my bs38's. I have almost no room at all between the electrics box. I can change the hardware to maximize the space but it is still really tight. I was looking at the pancake filters on ebay. Any suggestions?
uploadfromtaptalk1376249959558.jpg

looks to be only an inch in there even if you cut off those extra threas on the box mount. don't know if pancake filters will be thin enuf. back to the drawing board. Ive seen some guys here have just a 1/2 inch cap that goes on the carb with a foam filter, but never investigated

the ones im thinking of are more like a cap, not a stack.
The filter foamreminded me of the foam in my leafblower, but white. anybody?

Face it, your so tight there the best you will get is rock strainers.

Not what you want.

Or maybe it is, so go with nothing.

Whatever that box is for, doesn't matter, it needs to be removed so proper air cleaners can be mounted.

Otherwise kiss your engine good bye when it digests the dirt from the rear wheel, chain and whatever else.

Your decision.

I would suggest the same thing as brian902, move your electrics box so you can use proper filters. I suggest the Uni Filter PK82, fits the BS38's.
Leo

I would suggest the same thing as brian902, move your electrics box so you can use proper filters. I suggest the Uni Filter PK82, fits the BS38's.
Leo

Leo and Brian are offering good advice - I don't think any kind of carburetor can do its job well if the intake air has to turn sharp corners to get into it.

After looking at it I guess I will just cut that bracket off and weld a new one a little over an inch lower. If you look in the pic the box is actually hanging lower than the bracket by just enough to put good filters on and still have the box in the same place really. That should work. I don't weld or have a welder but my neighbor does and he said he will help me.
uploadfromtaptalk1376413899598.jpg

After you cut off the bracket, mount the air filters so you know just where to put the bracket.
You may need to lower the bow itself a bit or cut it down a bit so the filters have room.
Leo

Why weld anything? Instead, you could just make a bracket and hang the box off the back of that engine mount below the carbs. Although if those are your bracket making skills illustrated in the photos, maybe that's easier said than done, lol.

I had ONE bad Uni out in the garage and I grabbed it to give you some measurements, so maybe it would help you out:

From carb mounting end to filter end it is a 3 1/16" with the body diameter is 2 7/8".

If you want this one Uni, you can have it. The filter is shot, but you can have it.

Haha 5twins that was the PO. LOL that is a good idea and most likely the easiest, also the most obvious so that is why I missed it. Lol

54 thanks for the info. I need to buy some anyway but thanks for the offer.

Back