BS38's: vacuum fittings

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of replacing the throttle shaft seals of the BS38's of my 1979 XS650 Special II.

No issues with the replacement but I was wondering why the left carburetor has vacuum fittings (plugged with screws; 2 fittings?) and the right one does not. I went through the carb guide but I still don't understand why the two carbs are different:

Left carburetor:
XS650carbLports_1_zps8a405ce6.jpg

Right carburetor:
XS650carbRports_zpsf4d28ebd.jpg

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Armin

There should be at least one on the right carb, on the choke housing. I think someone had the choke housings off and switched them between carbs. The one with the vacuum port should be on the right carb, not the left as yours are.

There should be at least one on the right carb, on the choke housing. I think someone had the choke housings off and switched them between carbs. The one with the vacuum port should be on the right carb, not the left as yours are.

Thank you 5twins, now it makes sense! I have carb holders with vacuum barbs so I don't need them on the carbs.

Can I just leave it this way or should I relocate the choke housing so things are symmetrical?

Armin

You can probably just leave it that way but since the carbs are all apart, now's the time to make it right. You won't be able to access that left carb choke plate once the carbs are bolted back together as a "bank".

I came across this post after being all proud of myself for getting my carbs cleaned up, rebuilt and put back together. I thought "I wouldn't have done THAT, would I?"

Sure enough. Dammit.

Quite often it's better to do just one carb at a time. this prevents this type of error. It also gives you a guide to reassemble.
This is a good way to do most things with a left and right side, like brakes.
Leo

Back