Buchanan's spokes

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Exactly what do you need to know when ordering spokes from Buchanans besides the basics.
I have a 21 X 1.60 inch 36 hole takasago rim from a suzuki TS 185. I want to lace it to the XS disc hub.

ugh, i hated dealing with buchanan, ended up ordering spokes from mikes and couldn't be happier. but as to your question...

you need to know the gauge of spoke, whether its single guage or dual gauge, length, nipple size, and whether it is a full diameter or conical hub.

if you're unsure of what to order its best to send the rim and hub to buchanan, there are no returns once your order has shipped - technical support on what to order is awful, and thats putting it nicely.

I've looked at their prices. You'd think their stuff was gold, not stainless, lol. $97 to lace and true a rim, $35 just to take your old spokes out, $100 - $110 for a set of spokes - YIKES !!. Over the past month, I've done 3 myself so I saved like $400. That more than paid for the spokes. I use Mike's spokes whenever possible. In fact, I even use them on other bike's wheels if they'll fit. They're a real bargain as far as spokes go. I love their stainless ones.

I read on this site that Mike's 21 inch spoke kit will only work with their 21 inch rim. Is this true. Did anyone have any luck lacing it to a different 21 inch wheel?
I just want to order the spokes once. Sending the rim and hub to Buchanan sounds like a good idea put probably will double in price by the time it gets back to me.

I've been using Buchanan spokes for years on all my bikes. I've never used their services, but I have used their spokes on my XS650 (3 wheels worth), 2 x BMW airheads, SR500 and will likely get a set for my 1966 Honda CA95.

Never had any sort of 'issue' working with them. Call them up, tell them what rims and hubs you have and they make you spokes.

I pay locally to have my rims laced/trued. $45 per wheel. Not worth shipping stuff back and forth and paying premium labor rates.

I don't have a clue where MikesXS spokes are made, who makes, them or what they're made from. I do know who makes Buchanan spokes. That alone is worth the extra $ IMHO. Spokes are a 1-time deal in my mind and worth doing right the first time. MikesXS spokes might be just fine and dandy - I have no clue. But I can guess where they're made and I'd rather buy from an American company who makes their product locally (I'm in Canada BTW but not much in the way of Canadian spokes ;))

I ordered front and rear spokes from them. I also ordered a custom rim punched out to match the xs rear hub. I laced the front wheel with no problems. I had trouble lacing the rear one, the nipples didn't sit right, I had two people check to make sure I laced it right. I'm stuck sending it back to have them lace it so if it's a problem with the spokes or rim, they'll cover it.

Here's what they are going to ask when you order, you'll need a micrometer, the width of the spoke by the hub and the width by the nipple. You'll also need the hole diameter of the hub and the ones on the rim and of course the rim size.

I've never measured anything when ordering. They have the specs for XS650 hubs and rims on hand.

I ordered spokes for an 18" rear XS650 rim to be laced to a Suzuki GT750 4LS front hub and didn't have to measure anything. That was a couple years back.

Maybe they've decided it's easier to have the customer measure things so if the spokes don't fit it's the customers fault.

That's what I thought, but they told me that there's 2 or three different spoke width and nipple sizes. I called before I had my rims to try and get ahead, but I had to wait for that. All in all, it was a pain in the ass. Make sure you have the rim in front of you when you call.

Ah yes - you do want to make sure you know the size of the holes in your rim for sure - I actually screwed myself when I was building a stupid set of wheels for my SR500.

They're vintage dirt track racing rims (19" front and rear, WM2 front, WM4.5 rear) and I laced them to Honda CB front hubs with adapters on the back wheel to hold a sprocket etc.

I ordered 2 Honda 19" front spoke sets for the wheels, not thinking about the nipple hole size in the rear rim. The stock Honda nipple size was too small for the rear rim, and when I explained to Buchanan (had a friend order the spokes for me originally) what I was using them for, they suggested I should not only have larger nipples, but also heavier duty spokes for the rear wheel.

So ordered another set and sold the first ones to a Honda guy.

All this has been helpful, I've seen guys order from both companies. It seems that Buchanan would be better because they are custom made to fit the xs hub to a suzuki rim.

I used Mikes 21" stainless spoke set to lace up an XS hub to a chrome, Chinese dirt bike front rim and it turned out just fine. Guessing the TS185 rim is similar.

It's probably pretty close. I'll have to measure the spoke holes. The only thing that could be off is the spoke hole angles. I guess it could be drilled if different.

The front rim shouldn't be a problem as the hub size is similar in size. I'm using motard/ dirt bike rims. The hub on the rear wheel is significantly different.

O.K, So i got the forty year old tire off the 19 inch XS rim. I took out a spoke to see if the nipple would fit the 21 inch Takasago rim and they don't. The 21 inch spoke holes are smaller. No biggie right? Do I get smaller nipples or do I drill them out.
Also, the pattern on the Xs rim seems more offset than the 21 inch suzuki rim. Is this a problem?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 203
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 211
I don't think so, as long as there's the same number of holes. It's a bigger rim so the holes will be further apart....and I would just drill them out.

Well I might be having the same problem as you huyner. I ordered one of their "deep drop centre" rims drilled for an xs rear hub and spokes to go with it. Put it together and the nipples don't seat straight with the spokes. I don't know how many degrees out is considered "acceptable" here but it worries me a bit. I'll try to get some pictures. Let me know what they say about yours.

They should have received my rim today, I'll keep you posted once they call and tell me what's up...after they charge me for lacing n tru, i'm gonna be about 6 bills on that freaking wheel.

If I had to do it over, I would've just bought Omar's conversion kit for the hub and I wouldn't have to worry about the custom rear wheel.

Thanks man. This turned out to be tough to take a picture of, it's easy to see in real life though. Maybe I can stick on a few straight edges and do it again but here's a couple anyways. What do you guys think? This is with the wheel torqued up and trued already.

aqtFc.jpg

vovxu.jpg

Back