1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

buildin' me a tracker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pregrid, Mar 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

I'm flattered but this ol gal and I have been thru SO much together it'd be like losing a family member. There is literally not enough money to make me part with her (especially given the fact that I have NO respect for money!:D)

2. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Sorry, I just added that to my info. Northern California

3. Dogger

Dogger XS650 Addict

Some guys get all the toys!

4. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Only if you live long enough! and I've been around awhile!

My son and I

[​IMG]

5. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

It's fuckin' Christmas, man! Just got back from the powdercoaters. The frame and most everything else is in what they call "chrome" with a clearcoat. Rotors in black. They'll be drilled later. The pics don't do it justice. Color is almost dead nuts on with what Jet Hot coating looks like.

Frame...........................

[​IMG]

Swingingarm.....................

[​IMG]

Triple trees....................

[​IMG]

And a bunch of others including all motor mounts, caliper brackets and bar mounts.....

[​IMG]

Now if it will just stop doin' this I can get to cleaning up the motor................

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

not a whole lot to report. Been cleanin' up the motor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Superclean works pretty good. Stained the side cover but that's gonna be polished anyway. didn't come out nice enough to leave alone. Thought about painting it but I think I'm gonna try soda blasting first. I really like the look of natural aluminum but I'm so fuckin' picky. If it ain't right it ain't right. We'll see.

7. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Decided to give soda blasting a shot. Seems like all the tutorials on this use kitchen grade soda which is real fine. Harbor Freight has medium and "formula xl" which is what I used, it's more coarse (hurts when it hits you in your bald head). Don't know if you can tell but it worked pretty good. Good enough that I'm not gonna paint the motor. With the side covers and valve adjust access covers polished it's gonna be just fine. One thing I didn't expect is it took the rust off the chrome nuts. whether it stays away I doubt unless I wax them (like THAT'S gonna happen). Neat thing is that once I get replacement motor mount bolts I can finally put the motor in the frame. Forks, triple trees, swing arm, shocks, and wheels and tires are all ready to mount up. So within a week or two this damn thing will actually start to look like a real bike again.:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Drilled the rotors yesterday. A friend printed out the drilling patterns, glued them to sheets of lexan, pre-drilled them, then glied them to the rotors. A little time in the drill press, OK more than a little-1/8" pilot hole, 1/4" finish hole, countersink, repeat. Motor goes in the frame TODAY!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Holes aren't perfectly aligned but a 60mph I don't think anyone will notice!

9. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Happy Easter and bless this day of resurection.........hell yeah!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned, this is gettin' real good!

10. voodoocld

voodoocld XS650 Member

What kind of shocks are those?
    They look neato.

11. Thats why I did a swirl type pattern.. this wasnt cheap but I think it made it look more modern to go with the FZR 600 rotor I have on the front.

Attached Files:

12. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Those are NOS Redwing Hammerheads from Robert at Omar's. Been sitting in a warehouse somewhere since the eighties. Guys actually still race with these. Cool, huh?

13. blackbetty

blackbetty XS650 Junkie

This build is right up my alley. Great attention to detail!

14. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Forks are in................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. stuntdouble

stuntdouble Contract Killer

Damn, Im more of a bobber type guy but this tracker build has got me droolin'! Cant wait to see how it turns out!

16. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Thanks, this is the most fun I've had in a long time. And it seems to me that most folks on here are bobber fans. Hey, nobody's perfect!:D

17. stuntdouble

stuntdouble Contract Killer

Im sure Ill regret it one day but hey, Im a trial and error learnin' kinda guy!

18. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

:D:D...............

19. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

Made some progress today.....................
    here's your basic old guy havin' fun!
    So what do y'all think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. pregrid

pregrid XS650 Guru

After lookin' at the pics I think I'm gonna drop the forks in the triples a bit to level the beast out.