Bushing removal

fjzr04

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may seem like a simple process but I am stumped, any suggestions or recomendations on removing original plastic bushings from the swingarm?

Thanks

Did you get it off the Bike yet? I'm looking to do this tomorrow. I found this vid online. Might help:

I heard sometimes getting it off the frame requires a rubber hammer and some muscle.

If you are not trying to save them, which you should not be doing, just get a 16" long punch or round rod with a nice flat end and drive them out from the opposite end.

It's a little hard to catch the small edge down inside but with a few tries you should get them popped out.

The spacer in the middle will give you some trouble but be persistent and if having trouble on one end try the other.

Hi fjzr,
not sure what bush Brian means but if it's the swingarm bearing sleeve etc. all those parts should be out of there before you start removing the plastic bushings.
Put a hacksaw blade through both plastic bushings and reassemble the hacksaw frame onto the blade.
Carefully saw through both bushings.
Remove and reassemble the hacksaw and use it to make a sawcut through the bush outer flange in line with the axial sawcut.
Now the bushes are springy not-quite-closed C-shapes and will push out quite easily.

Last edited:
Sorry FJZR,
I was thinking of axle spacers and not swing arm spacer. Swing arm spacer removes quite easily and bushings can be removed like Fred says or by tapping out with a punch.

On the new side, most use the brass bushings for replacement. But you must clean up the swing arm and check the clearance on the bushing to swing arm and the bushing to swing arm pivot.

Some bushings have been too tight to press or squeeze back into the swing arm and others report pivot bolts that don't fit.

Should be about .001 th interference fit between bushing and swing arm so a little tapping with a brass or ball peen hammer should be all it takes to install. I used a long threaded rod with nuts and washers to pull mine together.

If the axle is tight on the bushing, a little honing is needed to give just a snug fit on the pivot. Meaning a rubber hammer tapping on the end should be the max force to install otherwise it's too tight.

Good Luck.

I had one bike they came out of very easily and the other I had to heat up the swingarm a lot and basically melt out the old bushings. I am not sure why they had the sleeve stuck in them so bad but I pounded the living daylights out of it with a special punch i made with no luck, the hot wrench got them out. They got pretty melt and brittle and just basically fell apart when I smacked them after applying heat. You will need to paint the swingarm if you do this.

Back