Wanted - Butterfly throttle shaft for a BS 38 Solex Carb off a '72

Jessezm

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I had to replace a bent throttle shaft in one of my carbs off my '72 XS2. They are BS 38's and have Solex stamped on the bells, but apparently the throttle shaft is just a few mm longer than the XS-1 and XS-1B Solex carbs? I got one off ebay but it was slightly shorter and won't work correctly.

does anyone have an old set of carbs off a '72 with a serviceable throttle shaft? Ughhhh these little tiny things are killing my progress!

The old shaft has one hole whose threads are stripped, and it is slightly bent, though could probably be easily straightened. It seems like there should be some options here but has hoping to just throw a bit of cash at the problem. Unfortunately that might be harder than I thought!

I'm really confused about why my Solex carbs on my 72 are slightly different than the 71 Solex carbs! The earlier shaft would be perfect but the throttle stop seats too close to the carb body and there aren't enough threads. In other words, it's too short

The old shaft has one hole whose threads are stripped, and it is slightly bent, though could probably be easily straightened. It seems like there should be some options here but has hoping to just throw a bit of cash at the problem. Unfortunately that might be harder than I thought!

Post up some really good closeups of the problem areas.
It *may* be salvageable.
If so, I may be able to fix it for you.
And, your XS1 shaft would be a welcome addition to my parts stash.

...I'm really confused about why my Solex carbs on my 72 are slightly different than the 71 Solex carbs! The earlier shaft would be perfect but the throttle stop seats too close to the carb body and there aren't enough threads. In other words, it's too short

GggGary may be able to shed some light on this. I seem to recall he mentioned that the lengths of the shaft bores are shorter on the early 70-71 carbs...

Post up some really good closeups of the problem areas.
It *may* be salvageable.
If so, I may be able to fix it for you.
And, your XS1 shaft would be a welcome addition to my parts stash.

GggGary may be able to shed some light on this. I seem to recall he mentioned that the lengths of the shaft bores are shorter on the early 70-71 carbs...

Excellent! I'd be happy to send you the one I can't use. I'll snap pics tonight of the damaged one. Thanks!

Do you know if, like everything else on the XS2, these shafts don't swap with any other model?

Jesse, I scanned thru my old parts manuals, and found NO listings for the throttle shafts and butterflys. I know the part numbers are out there, somewhere, and could help with matching. My best guess would be that the 72-73 shafts are interchangeable. Beyond that, our resident carb gurus would have to chime in...

Are those the white plastic bushings? If so, no, it's just the shaft, seals, and a little stepped metal cap that presses on and off with a little pressure. That's what the spring seats against.

Well now that I look, there does appear to be a bushing of some sort pressed into the throttle side. It doesn't look split like the one in the link but maybe I just can't see it or it's in better shape?

I have the shaft you need. The total over-all length is approximately 83.7mm.
The total over-all length of the 70-71 throttle shaft is approximately 81.5mm.
Sending you a PM.

Back