Cadillac Ranch

pyroman

Pyroman
Reaction score
A Friend of Mine built this in 1974. More money than sense. Big Tourist attraction. He calls it ART. I call Bull-shit.

Haaaa! This is famous. I first heard of this twenty years ago. There are quite a few similar oddball things around the country. Is it art? Well, it isn't Michelangelo, but then I'm a motorcyclist and I'm not Peter Fonda :)

Every time I have company, I have to take them out there. The owner, an eccentric Millionaire, keeps cases of spray paint sitting nearby. Sadlythe Visitors , from all over the world, just spray away, then throw their spray cans, candy wrappers, and cigs on the ground, where the wind blows them all over the fields. The last three times I took Visitors out there, I was embarrassed by the trash. It probably gets a thousand visitors a day, or more. He has some other "ART" pieces nearby, I wil post pics. :shrug:

Cool! I dragged my wife out see Carhenge on a vacation trip a few years ago, she retaliated by making me go to the Spam museum.

sd trip 05-07 075 (800x301).jpg

spammuseum.jpg

Attachments

• sd trip 05-07 075 (800x301).jpg
    sd trip 05-07 075 (800x301).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 270
A Friend of Mine built this in 1974. More money than sense. Big Tourist attraction. He calls it ART. I call Bull-shit.
Im originally from Lubbock and a lot of family lives in Amarillo. I agree with you. It is such a beating. Is it the same guy that has all the funky colored cattle at random places around town?

Im originally from Lubbock and a lot of family lives in Amarillo. I agree with you. It is such a beating. Is it the same guy that has all the funky colored cattle at random places around town?

No, the painted Cattle are the work of the Chamber of Commerce. There are quite a few of them, and they paid big bucks for them. They are a hot item and are often stolen! today, if I get the chance, I will take and post pics of the giant legs of "Ozzymandus". That is another of His ART projects.:doh:

Around 2000 someone put life-sized bulls and bears statues on the sidewalks around NYC, to represent Wall Street. I was there at the time and noticed them. They made the news and I read about them later and learned what they were there for. It seemed to inspire a lot of similar street statues in other cities representing what that city is known for. Here we have horse statues done up with all kinds of wild painting on them.

I believe that all started in toronto about 1999. There were moose everywhere. Now lots of cities do this. Minneapolis had dinosaurs for a while.

The same millionaire put up a lot of signs...in front yards of homes with all kinds of crazy things on them. Like quotes from books to a pic of Marilyn Monroe...and the Huge letters that spell out "ACTUAL SIZE" on his property visible from Amarillo Boluvard. I will get some pics in my neighborhood.

I am going to get a bunch of non-running non xs' and jut put them around town in various spots. Maybe spray paint the tanks some funky colors and then send the city a bill for my "art" that inspires the community. Clean out my garage and make few dollars. Ill let uknow how it goes

I am going to get a bunch of non-running non xs' and jut put them around town in various spots. Maybe spray paint the tanks some funky colors and then send the city a bill for my "art" that inspires the community. Clean out my garage and make few dollars. Ill let uknow how it goes

If you do, I may stop by with some wrenches...

Last edited:
Here is another of SM3's ART projects. It is 3 miles south of Amarillo, on I-27. About 15-20 feet tall, I guess. They used to have socks on, gone now. The plaque is hard to read, but tells a twisted tale of how the legs came to be there. This doesnt scratch the surface of the ART stuff He has put in the area. A pool table larger than a football field, with 8 foot balls, a Floating Mesa, a wind driven Neon sculpture, the list is long. I could buy a LOT of cold Beer with the money He has s pent on this stuff.

Attachments

• Legs of Ozzymandus 002.jpg
    Legs of Ozzymandus 002.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Legs of Ozzymandus 004.jpg
    Legs of Ozzymandus 004.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 161
I've yet to come check that out..i own a 55 cadillac and dont want to see those Caddy's in a state of "art" decay..

god bless Cadillac

I wouldn't worry, they no longer look like Cadillacs. :)

I didn't realize he had done so much work there. I'll likely pass through next month, and try to see some more.

John

Back