Caferacer.net What a bunch of regects!!!

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
So, I'm looking around the old interwebs and came across caferacer.net forum. Ever seen it? After reading some posts and such I came to the conclusion that it is a complete "How-to" of how to not have a good site. I have never read such arrogence or abusive posts...ever!
It's a wonder they even have members. Well they do, but those are just ripping people apart. Many replies to valid technical questions are loaded with hatred and embarrasing, brutal remarks. I mean 2 pages in "Bikes For Sale" see:'72 CB350 Project FOR SALE

Now, I know we get into a couple "matches" on here about certain subjects, but these are usually light hearted and, if heated, are quelled quickly. This is why I love this forum. People are here to help one another, answer questions, and have fun. That other site seems to be a breeding ground for rude remarks. Several post's that I read have a common reply too, "That's why I hate this site, you rip into newbies". Isn't that why we have these forums? To help? I know I wasn't born with XS knowledge. It was learned with the help of many, many people over a long time. And I want to thank them all for helping. And I would not flip out on someone just for being new. That's just stupid. We had a saying the Marine Corps., "There is no dumb question".

I was looking thru there and noticed that the majority of threads are started with technical question, the battle begins around post 4, then the member who posted the question leaves, and the post goes on, thrashing the author, and then fades. The members with the highest post count, (post's such as "ya" on any thread or "room" is counted), seem to not talk shop at all. Crazy

Well, that's my "thing" for the day.
Hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy the fall-like weather if you're on the east coast.

Most people stay in line because they fear getting punished. The web is punishment-free, like people yelling out of cars, so you get that. You can tell who takes the high road and behaves the way they do for moral reasons. The rest are mainly motivated, checked in this case, by fear.

Looking at arguments on strange websites is enlightening in the same way listening to foreigners argue about some aspect of their culture is. Creates a clearer perspective where you're less inclined to do the same yourself.

Two sayings also apply. "If you win an argument on the internet, you still lose." And another that means the same thing, "Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded."

LOL, good points.
Obviously the moderators on that site do nothing, if there are any.
And I agree it's pretty easy to yell and be tough on the other side of a computer when there are no consequences. It just amazes me.

have you ever been on jockey journal? i went on it once or twice, it was horrific. i heard they dont even allow jap bikes on there anymore.

every once in a while tho im kinda a dick. sometimes certain things need to be said (imo, hah). but coming on the the internet to start a fight is ridiculous. that is why this place is great. you can have no knowledge about anything and ask the same questions that get asked every single day and the for the most part you will get a solid answer, or at least a link to a post that will have your answer in it. its also a great feeling passing on knowledge that you once had no idea about and now can be everyday maintenance or work on your bike.

I think that dotheton.com and this forum are both really well moderated and seem to draw the sort of folks that love the bikes and the lifestyle yet don't feel the need to project their own insecurity on strangers from behind the safety of their keyboard.

I could be wrong - I often am - but I think one reason that this site is so open and helpful is that many of us are beyond our youth, middle-aged or maybe more (I'm 67). We're at a point in our lives where we pretty much know what we know and what we don't know - we're comfortable with that and don't feel we have to prove ourselves by constantly strutting and swaggering. We love our old bikes (which were much younger back when we were) and believe that helping others to solve their problems and get back to riding a better-performing, more reliable one is a good way to show it. There will always be some who by virtue of experience know much more about these bikes than others and can respond usefully to almost any question or problem - I've never torn down and re-assembled a motor, but if the day ever comes when I need to, I know I can find all the advice I could possibly need on this site, by searching past posts and then asking if I can't find the information I need somewhere. This site rocks.

Well said Bill, your point well made. Semper Fi ....btw

Along the line of your thoughts I always really enjoy the spirit of both this site and the "Airheads", an organization of like minded who enjoy the old air cooled Beemers.

First their cannons.....

Airheads ride Beemers with air-cooled heads.
Airheads believe that the simplest engineering solutions are the best.
Airheads appreciate function over form, fact over fiction, and friendship over friction.
Airheads regard money as a tool, not a status symbol.
Airheads are earthly people who like to camp.
Airheads maintain their own motorcycles.
Airheads don't take themselves, religion or life too seriously.
Airheads like to share time, knowledge, parts and camaraderie with other Airheads.

Then their logo and attitude:......Simpla Fi ......Best, Blue

Attachments

• airheads logo.jpg
    airheads logo.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 215
Back